Serach yielded nothing so here it is.

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Serach yielded nothing so here it is.

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Building a Tomahawk. not throwing of course. just a good middle grip one. long pommel to keep rules obeyed. only question. the back spike...am i allowed to make a legal dagger tip here or no???

i want to think its illegal due to swung stabbing..but i swear i saw a halberd tutorial somewere with one..i may be wrong. any tips,pictures for inspiration of succesfull tomahawks, and advice are welcome and needed.

also..a friend is wanting to make a version of a bel legal staff...but with out striking...just a spear...i said it is not ok by the rules. Am i correct??
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2008
Realm: Talinor
Unit: Order of Endor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red,Two Weapon, S&B, Archery.

Re: Serach yielded nothing so here it is.

Postby Caleidah » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Swung is swung. Thrusting is thrusting. You may have to -build- the back head like a dagger to make it safe, but it will do damage like a blue.

And your friend wants to make a short spear. Cool? Or does it want it stabby on both ends? If so, thems the breaks on the rules. It has to be striking legal on both ends.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 pm

ok thanks ill let him know its a no go.

as for the back spike..will that pass if its not 6 inches?? i thought striking had to be blade style construction?
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2008
Realm: Talinor
Unit: Order of Endor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red,Two Weapon, S&B, Archery.

Postby Glass » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Flynn Cu Maige wrote:ok thanks ill let him know its a no go.

as for the back spike..will that pass if its not 6 inches?? i thought striking had to be blade style construction?

It's just how you swing a weapon that defines whether it's green or blue. Thus if you're thrusting it (which you're not) it's green. Since you're swinging it it's blue. As long as it passes template, you won't have an issue.
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2009
Realm: Numenor

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Flynn Cu Maige wrote:ok thanks ill let him know its a no go.

The book of war does not tell us how a weapon has to be constructed, not in particular. The back spike must pass the 2.5" rule if it is built in a cylindrical fashion or, if it is a flat blade style, it must have a 1.5" radius.

I'm not sure what you're referencing as far as 6" goes. For a class 1 weapon (blue) your weapon must be 12" + the length of the pommel and the handle. This means that you must have at least 12" of blade/haft. So, a small axe that has a 6" head and 6" of haft will pass.

As for your friend's idea, yeah, you're correct. For a double ended weapon you must have a minimum of 18" of cylindrical striking surface on each end of the weapon, and if one side is stabbing legal both sides must pass for stabbing. If any of these criteria is not met, then the weapon is not legal.

Please post again if we did not adequately answer your questions.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Alric » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 pm

The 6" striking surface rule is a Dagorhir, not Belegarth, requirement.
Alric
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2005
Realm: Angaron
Unit: Drentha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield, Archery, Javelin

Return to Foam Smithing