About pre-made weapons

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

About pre-made weapons

Postby Mythreal » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 am

I am a noob in the extreme! While doing research online I found some interesting weapons. I have't seen anyone use them so I am thinking 1) they aren't allowed or 2) folks prefer to make their own as these can be $100 or more. I like them because they are very detailed and look interesting. It might be fun to have one or two for special occasion. I would like to know if they are legal for Belegarth. There was no mention of it on the website's approval list but they did reference other combat LARP groups such as SCA and Amtgard. here is a quote from the website:

"Note that products made with the hybrid core can stand up to full-contact combat, which means that these weapons are usable by those LARPs whose combat style is full-bore, all-out, go-for-broke full contact like the SCA and Amtgard. -www.latex-weaponry.com/#A4

just checking before I spend the $$,
Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that Dragons exist,but because they tell us that Dragons can be beaten. -G.K. Chesterton
Mythreal
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Jan 2013

Re: About pre-made weapons

Postby Voodoo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:55 am

Try edhellen.com go to the full contact weapons, I dont think Larp weapons fly here =P
Also try knights foam on facebook.

:spear: :spear: :knight: :spear: :spear:
"People have been swinging at me for years, but they always seem to miss".
Voodoo
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 28 Mar 2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/flail and board, single blue

Postby Lione » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 am

Calimacil weapons will fail Belegarth standards. The tips are too small, they don't have enough foam and they don't have cloth covers, among other things. They are primarily designed for games that are not swinging full force, such as Amtgard. I don't know why they say they would work in SCA either actually, the tips would probably still fail SCA standards, plus weapons need to be made from Rattan.
"I am all that is Orc."-Forkbeard Rex
Lione
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:41 am

Not even Amt uses Calimacil. They are for more theatrical LARPs where people will be intentionally slowing down their shots.

Mythreal, welcome to Belegarth! Have you visited a realm yet? There is a map of realms on the main page at www.belegarth.com that can help you find people. If not, and you post your general location, we can help point you toward the nearest group. They will show you what our weapons look like, how they are built, and any other bit of information you could be looking for.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Mythreal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am

Hey, all. Thanks for the info. The Belegart website says that the closest group to me is Griffin Creek Realm. They practice on Saturday in Mance Buchanan Park, Oceanside, California, about 5 miles from my place.
I am headed to the Battle of the Ring in Chino this Saturday to check it all out, starting next Saturday, I will start attending the regular practice days. I will talk to folks there about how best to proceed, get/make a good starter weapon.
Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that Dragons exist,but because they tell us that Dragons can be beaten. -G.K. Chesterton
Mythreal
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Jan 2013

Postby Kyrian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 am

We'll see you there!
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby winter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm not sure Griffin Creek is currently active. You might want to track down maelstrom and find out details.
winter
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 2010
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Return to Foam Smithing