Catching up in foam tech...

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Catching up in foam tech...

Postby Teej » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 pm

So, I haven't built my own weapon since 2007. I used to by Edhellen (now Forged Foam), then a local foam smith started getting my business.

Anyway, I'm looking to get back into foam smithing, I used to enjoy taking raw material and building a nice weapon out of it. I assume dap and fiberglass haven't changed... I'm looking to get away from blue.

What's the updated foam tech we're using these days?

Where's the best place to get it online?

How should I layer it for best results?
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Catching up in foam tech...

Postby Triton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 pm

A guy called Alric from Dagorhir sells all kinds of stuff. He sells routed 4lb boxes and 2lb mc fries pretty inexpensively. And he's in Florida.
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby Alom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Teej wrote:So, I haven't built my own weapon since 2007. I used to by Edhellen (now Forged Foam), then a local foam smith started getting my business.

Anyway, I'm looking to get back into foam smithing, I used to enjoy taking raw material and building a nice weapon out of it. I assume dap and fiberglass haven't changed... I'm looking to get away from blue.

What's the updated foam tech we're using these days?

Where's the best place to get it online?

How should I layer it for best results?

I've only been back less than a year myself, but the biggest thing I've seen is the 4# box around core, which adds a nice balance and feel. It supposedly improves durability, but I haven't been back that long.

As far as glue goes, rebuilt a couple swords right before Battle for the Ring about ten days ago using a spray glue (don't remember the brand, but it had a 77 something on it). It was lifechanging, and I don't know that I will ever DAP another weapon.

(Elwrath's Barley-built swords are breaking down all at once now, but that might be because of the stabbing tips adding extra torque on the build--havent seen a fix for that on here)
beach bum ninja
Knighted by Ser Necronos
Alom the Stalwart
The Bull Moose Knight
Alom
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2003
Realm: Beyond the Wall

Postby allhailredbeard! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm

The spray adhesive is 3M super 77 I think. I have made a few swords with it. Cheap, easy to apply, dries fast I don't think it's as "sticky" as dap but it works well enough.
allhailredbeard!
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 May 2011
Realm: riverbend combat association

Postby Celtic Christ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 am

Any idea of the durability and longevity of that 3m super 77 adhesive?
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara

Postby bo1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 am

3m spray 77 is not the answer. it is fine for a patch or haft padding but stiking it isnt any good.

as far as best practices with weapons? what are you building? normal swords, 30-36 length , .524 kitespar is becoming very common, with solid core fiberglass popular at 28-32 lengths.

4lbs eva common in the "barley" weapons, i havent had any problems in 5 years with that foam. i have wrecked 4 boxes total, all were well within the beaten to a pulp catagory, had i mainbtained the weapon properly the out layer been replaced, probibly would have saved them all.

on top of the 4lbs, many are using either FF cross link poly at 1" thickness, or a combination of volera and blue camp, i strongly prefer the cross poly for longevity.

stab tips, usually a 5/8ths of yoga mat or ensolite. usually dapped, occasional carpet tape. then a strip of tape on the flats to aid in keeping the tip together.

for bats, a 1" square box of 4lbs, 3 layers of volera and skin it in packtape for surface tension.

hope that is what you are looking for.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 am

How long has Elwrath had his Barley swords?

Only reason I'm asking is because I have a pair I specifically bought for pell work. After 2000 strikes I'm looking to replace them. The one I use for practice, however, has lasted me almost 2 years. I had to replace the stabbing tip, but thats because I stab. A lot.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Teej » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am

Exactly what I was looking for Bo; I also caught up with Alric. I'm going in on shipping with him, which is nice. I have a huge shopping list and a busy day ahead of me. Thanks for the help!
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood

Postby varadin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am

Peanut of Loderia wrote:How long has Elwrath had his Barley swords?

Only reason I'm asking is because I have a pair I specifically bought for pell work. After 2000 strikes I'm looking to replace them. The one I use for practice, however, has lasted me almost 2 years. I had to replace the stabbing tip, but thats because I stab. A lot.

I wana say hes been using them since okfest 2011?

4 pound foam has made the biggest difference for me in longevity for sure. more so if its a routed box instead of just making an eraidor build.

Stay away from eva on striking surfaces though, other thne a dense eva on a box... the **** worthless. Breaks down too fast and rips apart.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby bo1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am

yep, 2lbs eva is **** for striking, tears way too easily.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Foam Smithing