Shield Shape

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield Shape

Postby Tyranastraz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I currently possess a strap shield that is a bit of a beast in weight. It's technically max width and height and weighs a ton. While I personally think I can wield it decently, a smaller back-up shield is probably needed.

So my question to you all is this:

What is, in your opinion, the best shape for a strap shield? My heavy is shaped like a rhombus (ex. A), which before you judge, defends me quite well for how I use it.

Your mamas wear cowboy boots to bed!
How do I know this?
I have had sexual relations with your mama!
Both of them!
Tyranastraz
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2010
Realm: Rath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crate & Barrel; punch & pie

Re: Shield Shape

Postby Caleidah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Round

28"
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:49 am

26"-30" round. With options for punch, strap, or shoulder sling.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Cool kids do rock the round shield. I would say if you want godlike ninja powers, you should go with it.

I personally like the heater best, but there is a culture with that one that may cause you to get grief for it if you use it and are not knighted. However, it is seriously awesome. I'll be cremated with mine.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Tyranastraz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks guys

What kind of core or should it be core-less?
How do I know this?
Both of them!
Tyranastraz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Honestly, I like wood-cored strap shields best, especially when people are kicking them.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Tordek » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:41 am

As someone who has more shields than weapons, ill drop in my input on this. If you are looking for what will purely improve your fighting technique, I would say 28" round strap. Punch is also an option but i've been rocking strap shields for 4 years, just picked up a punch recently, and can say the training with the strap has been extremely beneficial. Below is what Ive learned/noticed about shields over the years

Now, that's the best all around shield you can use that will improve your technique as your fight with it. Other types are better in certain situations.

Tower shield, most possible defense.

Kite shield, good defense, lighter and more agile than a tower, less sword encumbrance, looses the shoulder protection that Towers offer.

Buckler, often best when using something with two hands, usually for arrows, or speed training your hands.

Heater, if your not a night you might get flack for it. Encumbers your sword life the tower, excellent torso protections but not much for legs. Easier to use when legged than a tower shield, probably the most annoying to fight when the owner is legged.

Rectangular (mini tower) I have almost always seen this one picked up by flow fighters when they want more protections, never seen one with a strap, always have been punches. some shield fighters pick them up and use nothing else. They offer a great hybrid between defense and offense because they can be positioned to protect the torso like a tower, but can also be moved out of the way to not get in the way of yourself. I would recommend this if you don't go for a round.

As for core/core less. I will never build a strap shield without a core. When you construct the shield you have to think about how exactly your going to fight with it. Your arm can hold a decent bit of weight when strapped properly, and that weight can be a big advantage mid fight, because your shield will be less likely to move when struck or kicked. It will however wear you out faster and be slower for you to move. Great for practice and muscle building, but not at events.

As for core less shields, I would build them as punches using plank 4lb foam (ask around, its great stuff) with oblong handles your going to want these light so that they are agile, and because your holding the weight with essentially your wrist. The oblong handles allow you to pivot the shield. this can allow you to trap your opponents weapon/shield/arm or whatever your looking to lock up.

I realize this was rather lengthy, and its not all the info i have on shields, but it should be enough to get you on your way. I advise that you go to youtube and watch some combat technique videos for shields and determine what will be best for your personal fighting style.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 am

I have to agree that a 27-28" round is your best bet. Your best leg protection is your footwork; build your shield to protect your body.

As for cores, I personally go with 1/2" 5-ply birch plywood. You can also use the 1/4" thickness of this (essentially generic tech-ply), which is half the weight, though you may find you get moved around a bit more due to its lightness.

For a 28" round, I use this. You can get a couple of 24"X24" cores out of this, and that will get you 27" shields; 28" if you prefer to use a fourth ring of edge foam, though even with blue foam I've found 3 to be sufficient so long as the shield is stored and treated correctly. Alternatively, you can also get a teardrop, a small heater, tower, or kite shield out of this piece. You can go a bit cheaper and get 1/2" CDX plywood, but it is weaker, and a bit heavier as well, but can be found here

For comparison, I have a 24" and (2) 26" rounds, each made of a different material:

26" 1/2" CDX (23" core) ~5.75lbs
26" 1/4" Birch (23" core) ~3.3lbs
24" 1/2" Birch (21" core) ~4.4lbs

Alternatively, you can use heavy duty plastics for cores, such as the bottom of a plastic barrel, but in that area I have no experience.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage

Postby Tyranastraz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Hardiron wrote:Rectangular (mini tower) I have almost always seen this one picked up by flow fighters when they want more protections, never seen one with a strap, always have been punches. some shield fighters pick them up and use nothing else. They offer a great hybrid between defense and offense because they can be positioned to protect the torso like a tower, but can also be moved out of the way to not get in the way of yourself. I would recommend this if you don't go for a round.

This is what I used to use back in Indiana, but when I moved I donated it to another guy. It was a strap, birch core. I may go back to it as my back-up, as I like the amount of protection it gives combined with the offensive capability. I've never felt entirely comfortable with a round. Then again, the round I used was only a 20".
How do I know this?
Both of them!
Tyranastraz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby skeracunna » Sat May 11, 2013 5:45 pm

what would be the dimensions for a kite shield please?
skeracunna
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Mar 2005

Postby Tordek » Sat May 11, 2013 9:33 pm

There are no "right" dimensions to a shield, you have to build it to fit you, they are like suits in that way. Go buy some poster board or cardboard, draw something up, cut it out, see how the size feels with some practice swings. Just remember the max width is 3 ft and the maximum height is 1.5 ft less than your height.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Return to Foam Smithing