Question About Volara

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question About Volara

Postby Nish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm

So, I ordered some 1/8" volara from foamforyou because I've heard that its shear resistance is unparalleled. However, the foam I received seems to be easily torn by hand. It appears to be of lesser quality than mini cell or even blue foam for that matter. Did I order the wrong foam, or is there something that I'm missing?

Here is a link to the stuff I ordered: http://www.foamforyou.com/volara_foam.htm
**** the boards
~nish
Nish
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2008
Realm: Rhovanian
Favorite Fighting Styles: junk in the trunk

Re: Question About Volara

Postby Dangus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Nish wrote:So, I ordered some 1/8" volara from foamforyou because I've heard that its shear resistance is unparalleled. However, the foam I received seems to be easily torn by hand. It appears to be of lesser quality than mini cell or even blue foam for that matter. Did I order the wrong foam, or is there something that I'm missing?

Here is a link to the stuff I ordered: http://www.foamforyou.com/volara_foam.htm

The unfortunate reality of buying foam on the internet is that terms like "volara" and "EVA" can mean many things. Formulas for foams vary batch-to-batch. If I was you I would ask for the manufacturer to send you samples next time. 99% of the time they will do this for free.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Re: Question About Volara

Postby Alric » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

That's the correct foam, I've ordered it from that supplier before (also, volara is a trademarked name brand with consistent formulas, so it shouldn't vary from supplier to supplier like eva foam does). Volara is very similar to blue foam, though I would argue of marginally higher quality. It has better tear resistance than MC and EVA foams, but it's not magic, and you can still tear it by hand.
Alric
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2005
Realm: Angaron
Unit: Drentha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield, Archery, Javelin

Return to Foam Smithing