Two Handed Mace

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Two Handed Mace

Postby DarkCyde » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm looking into making a two handed mace and when i look all over for a crafting schematic i get vague directions I'm currently 6'8 so i want at least a 5' mace and was wondering if anyone could help me or navigate me to a place that could because i really look forward to fighting with said weapon. also if anyone has such a weapon and would be willing to sell it id be interested
:armor1: have fun
DarkCyde
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Two handed anything

Re: Two Handed Mace

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 am

You can find some good instructions over at the Geddon, but I'm not certain if there is a tutorial for a two handed mace. I can give you instruction, but before I can really point you in the direction of the materials you'll need for such a project, I need to know where you're located, in general; some materials are easier/harder to get in some areas. As well, how long have you been fighting, how long have you been building, and what have you built?
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Maddaveman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:51 am

If you're going for a five foot mace your core size is going to be important. You're definitely going to need fiberglass, but if you were to use a band shop pole (1 inch diameter) it could be too rigid and hurt like hell. If It's too think it'll flex out.

If you use the spiral wrap method for padding it, be careful not too pull the wrap too tight or it'll be too stiff. Alternatively you could make a flanged or octagonal mace, but a flanged mace might be too fragile at that length.
Maddaveman
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2012
Realm: Yggdrasil
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Flanged maces work well at that length. Red maces like that certainly are organ pushers, though. It all depends on the smith's skill, materials, and the method by which they build.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby DarkCyde » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:17 pm

ok so im in Fl volusia county i can get really any supplies sold at stores lowes, walmart, ace, any store that sells it should be around here

as for the mace i am not the greatest builder but i can follow instrucions vey well so any help i should be able to follow and and mace type will do
DarkCyde
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Teej » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Are you a current fighter with the FFA? Or just getting started?

If you're just getting started, here's a GREAT resource for getting information locally: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FFAEVENTS/

Every org in Florida... Belegarth, Dagorhir, Amtgard, Way of the Sword, and Tsuki Ura Musha all work together, and we have quite a few local smiths that can help you out and mentor you in person.

We have a day battle tomorrow (April 20) at Gemini Springs (10:30am-6:30pm in the field behind the red barn), in your neck of the woods. Come on out, look for my guys, can't miss us (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6561_n.jpg)...

I'll help you get started. And if I can't answer your questions, I'll refer you to someone who can.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby DarkCyde » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 am

Alright teej thanks I'm not able to make it today but ill be there next weekend and yes I'm new to this. Ill look at the websites you posted btw cool looking group
DarkCyde
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Killian » Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 am

Contact sir dameon orcenfol he makes some wicked red maces that always pass for hit, but he is a monster so he get guff over the haft padding having spikes... But he makes a large portion of his reds low tech Ie using blue foam and dap .... I'll see if I can link a photo of the nurgle mace he made... It's roughly 5 ft
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Return to Foam Smithing