Class 1 Glaive

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Class 1 Glaive

Postby Calohtar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 pm

I have a friend who really enjoys fighting with short (>48'') spears. He wants to build one, but he also noted that he would like to have a small double striking edge on it as well. So effectively, a Class 1 Glaive, or a stab legal short sword on a stick. As he is new to Belegarth (he had previously fought in a similar foam combat club, but not with Belegarth rules) I decided to take a look at the Book of War to see if it would be legal, as I was unsure, but I haven't seen anything that would make it illegal. At first I thought this would:

Appendix A 1.4.1.4. The maximum handle length for a Class 1 Weapon is eighteen (18) inches or one-third (1/3) of the overall length, whichever is greater. This cannot exceed one-half (1/2) of the overall length.

But then I realized that the rest would just be haft padding, like on a Class 2 (normal) Glaive. I was also wondering if there were any limitations on the length of the blade, but all I could find was this:

Appendix A 1.4.1.5. The minimum overall length of a Class 1 is 12 inches plus the length of the handle and pommel.

But I'm not sure if that means that the blade has to be at least 12'', or if that rule wouldn't apply to the weapon due to it's length.

So would such a weapon be legal? If not, why not? And how long would the blade on the end have to be?
Calohtar
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Unknown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Great Sword

Re: Class 1 Glaive

Postby Celtic Christ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 pm

It would be bel legal but function differently that he might think. At max length you'd have the 12" minimum blade, 18" of handle, and 17.5" or so for haft padding. You'll have a problem with it wanting to flex too much, a potential safety issue with such a small striking area, and it wouldn't do red damage to the shields. I think it would end up working more like a rapier and limiting his potential with a blue weapon. His better option, in my opinion, would be to make a minimum length red to increase his options in battle. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will come along to add in what I've missed and correct me if I'm mistaken.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Mint » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

My advice to your friend: build a good ol' 32" blue sword or five (and a good 28" round shield). Once he's grasped the fundimentals of Bel combat and construction a little more clearly, then try other, more unconventional fare if he so desires. Believe me, it's really in one's best interest not to try making non-traditional stuff without any prior Bel construction experience. Time, money, and headaches will be saved.

That being said, if he still wants to make what you described, I'd either just get a javelin (you can throw 'em!), or you could build a somewhat practical blue (36" or so) with about a foot of striking surface.

On a side note...
Appendix A 1.4.1.5. The minimum overall length of a Class 1 is 12 inches plus the length of the handle and pommel.

What this means is there must be at least 12" of padding of some sort. So, in theory, one could make a weapon with only a few inches of striking surface. If it was 12" minimum of striking surface, all the little axes, hammers, etc. out there would fail. I wouldn't reccomend making a larger weapon with that small a striking surface, as many weapon checkers would fail it out of safety concerns.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Ragefire » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Punch and Pie if he insists on the length.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Return to Foam Smithing