15 Foot field legal core.

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

15 Foot field legal core.

Postby Gabekillsyou » Fri May 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello. I am in search of a 15 foot legal core I could use for a glaive. All the sites listed for bandpoles and such that ive seen has nothing over 8 foot and google searches didnt help me any either. I know alot of you are thinking 15 foot is rediculous, but i think it would be fun to at least try out and have in my armory.

Anyways, if anyone could help me i would appreciate it alot.
Gabekillsyou
Recruit
Recruit

Unit: Arbitrium
Favorite Fighting Styles: Anything intense

Re: 15 Foot field legal core.

Postby Sir Anastasia » Fri May 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Not much experience with this, but I have heard people use "painter's pole" for very long cores. I looked it up and could not find an easy link for that length. I would also caution you to be sure the whole pole is fiberglass, because some seem to be made from aluminum cores (no metal).
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Wumpus once made a 10-foot red sword and the weight was ridiculous. It was so heavy and forceful that no amount of padding could make it pass weapon check at any event.

If it was made as a glaive instead of a sword, it might have been able to pass. But it would have been the longest and heaviest swing-legal weapon to ever make it through check if it did.

About the longest weapon I would recommend that you make is a 12-foot green-only spear for line battles. Maybe 13 feet.

If you want a long glaive, I suggest the tried-and-true line glaive. One of those is an 8-foot core plus whatever length proper padding adds.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby The Great Gigsby » Fri May 10, 2013 6:22 pm

I'll pm Kyrax and see if he'll have any input. I think I remember him having a glaive greater than 10' at Battle for the Ring last year.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Gabekillsyou » Sat May 11, 2013 2:35 am

I actually recently heard there is an 8 1/2 ft rule in bel on red weapons. is this true?
Gabekillsyou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Celtic Christ » Sat May 11, 2013 9:16 am

There's no 8 1/2' rule that I'm aware of. Class one < 48", javelins and double ended weapons a 7' max, and a 3' max width on shields are all I'm aware of off hand. It could be a local rule but not one per the BoW. When you're getting into massive lengths though safety becomes a greater concern.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Gabekillsyou » Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I certaintly understand the safety concern assosciated with larger weapons. In all honesty im a smaller guy, 5'7" 175lbs so it would look like a midget viking swinging a tree lol, but ive got enough strength to somewhat wield it, dagger in belt.

I know the force generated behind it would make it nearly impossible to pass it at any events, but i feel like a couple extra layers of yoga mat as a wrap/stabbing tip mght make it borderline passable. I can wield an 8 ft red sword with ease, so i feel going even larger would provide a fun challenge.

As wierd as it is most of the time if im not swinging reds im fighting with just daggers simply because its challenging and rewarding when you do well
Gabekillsyou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ravioli » Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Check into structural fiberglass suppliers in your area. Alot of them carry standard lengths of 20'. Expect to pay alot of money for it though, like $90 or so.
http:/www.scrapworksarmory.com
Ravioli
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Jun 2008
Realm: Osgiliath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby bangor » Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am

Bangor has heard tales of windsurfing masts and pole vault poles being used. They are both prohibitively expensive, but can be obtained cheap if they have microfractures. For Amtgard, that's not generally a big deal; for Belegarth, it depends if your fighters are simply tough, or psychotic.
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby randy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Painters poles would work well as a spear, not so great asred glaive. I currently have a 12' bamboo fishing pole as a glaive. My 15' pole vault walked off a few years ago, but when you go that size you want to buy new. That tends to run from $200 - $300.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Haardgrim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm

For examples of really long weapons (not glaives, though), see these videos:

http://youtu.be/xpF87ajjtbE
http://youtu.be/OJkQHTYT_sU

The poles are locally sourced in Finland, but I'll ask them more details when I go to their event this summer.

-Hårdgrim
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-1998
Realm: Monachium

Postby Tordek » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:09 am

Realistically, 8.5-9 feet sounds like the practical cap to red length. Going beyond that with 1/8" walled 1" will flex too much, getting something that will pass flex will be really heavy. Which will need more padding and thus be heavier, potentially leading to more flex problems. Having had 7 ft sword one I can guarantee you will never be able to get a 15ft glaive moving fast enough to score a hit on someone. Problem is the length has a multiplicative effect on force required to swing, not an additive one. If you find a way to build it it will almost certainly be a gag weapon.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Postby Gabekillsyou » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm

it was mostly an idea for line fighting and having a super long reach for stabs. I just would prefer glaive for the option to break shields.

but you are correct, it would be nearly impossible to be able to pass both hit and flex, and it would be very heavy
Gabekillsyou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby randy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 am

My last 15 foot glaive was made out of a women's polevault core that was given to me by a track coach at the local community college. He gave it to me cause he didn't believe what I was going to use it for. Sadly I went on deployment and it disappeared.

Pole vaults make great cores for Reds. MY current 12 foot is made out of 1.25" bamboo and has held up nicely through multiple CA bel events.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby randy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Ive crushed many fields running * and balls with a 15 foot pole-arm. I don't think I would consider it stupid.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Osric/Mageta » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:46 pm

foamslinger69 wrote:Image
Western Uruk-Hai WAAAGH
Ravager
Team Pirate Ninja (since 2010)
Boris took me for a ride at CW14.
Osric/Mageta
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: IN THE BUFF

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Thu May 01, 2014 5:56 am

Haardgrim wrote:For examples of really long weapons (not glaives, though), see these videos:

The poles are locally sourced in Finland, but I'll ask them more details when I go to their event this summer.

-Hårdgrim

Guh... Been to Finland twice and have never gotten to beat up nerds over there. Almost did this last time. It's interesting, their weapons tech looks aweful compared to most Darkon/Bel/Dag stuff, but their fighting is 100% like ours on average. Next time...

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Tordek » Fri May 02, 2014 1:50 am

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
Haardgrim wrote:For examples of really long weapons (not glaives, though), see these videos:

-Hårdgrim

Guh... Been to Finland twice and have never gotten to beat up nerds over there. Almost did this last time. It's interesting, their weapons tech looks aweful compared to most Darkon/Bel/Dag stuff, but their fighting is 100% like ours on average. Next time...

Thrush
berserk

Holy **** snacks, look at all that duct tape!
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Return to Foam Smithing