New to teaching foamsmithing

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

New to teaching foamsmithing

Postby Celtic Christ » Sun May 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm supposed to be teaching my little cousin to build his own weapons since he's shown an interest in Bel. My personal foamsmithing's sound, but unorthodox (see examples https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.265686006897623.64976.100003686779916&type=3 ). I'm wondering what areas, from a more general foamsmithing perspective, I should focus on. I know I need to impress the need for safety above all else upon him. Outside of that though, I'm tempted to show him the basics, give him materials, and tell him to make something interesting and fun. Overall is there anything, in particular to the current building tech, that I should stress more than another?
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: New to teaching foamsmithing

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon May 27, 2013 7:54 am

Patience. Stress that foamsmithing takes time, and a rushed project is doomed to fail. Stress, as well, knowing your materials. The better he understands what he is working with, the better he will know in what ways he can apply them. This lack of understanding in many new fighters results in 40" 1/2" pvc swords and hammers made of all blue foam that rip from the core before the make it to the field.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 am

While showing him a bit and then telling him to make something he thinks sounds cool isn't necessarily a bad idea, I feel like having him make a blue sword or two will cement in him a solid foundation for how the process of making weapons works in general, and from there it's easy to branch out, altering the "pattern" for different weapons. That's how I learned, and I'm really grateful for it.

I'd also like to second Thurat's patience suggestion. That was one of my main problems when I was first starting, and it's a problem I see consistently in new foamsmiths. You get too excited to have this awesome new thing and you forget that you have to take your time to make things look great. Take your time cutting the foam, making sure as best you can that everything is nice and even; replace your blades when you need to so you get great-looking cuts, etc. Let the glue dry before adding the next layer (one of my biggest problems even now). If you spend a lot of quality time building the sword, it's one you'll enjoy more for a variety of reasons, plus it's a lot less likely to fail.
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon May 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Measure twice and cut straight. Draw the line you are going to cut...no dots! People underestimate how important straight cuts are. When foam separates from the core, it is often because the box is 1/16" too large (a cutting error). A nice tight fit from straight pieces can add many months to the longevity of the weapon.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Kyrian » Mon May 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Teach your cousin how to properly use DAP. It can be very tempting to just put all of the strips of foam onto core as soon as the contact cement is applied but it needs to have time to cure (show your cousin how to tell when it's ready) in order to work properly.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Mint » Mon May 27, 2013 5:53 pm

When I first council new foamsmiths, I give the these six steps the were taught to me (albeit a tad too late):

Step 1: Make a basic blue sword.

Step 2: Fix it.

Step 3: Build two more.

Step 4: Build another one, this time try a stabbing tip, oblong handle, the works.

Step 5: Try a non-basic blue (mace, axe, flail, etc).

Step 6: Congrats, you now have a fundamental understanding of foamsmithing. Build a red, spear, whatever.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Return to Foam Smithing