Materials guide

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Materials guide

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:54 am

Because our stickied resources thread is a bit out-of-date and disorganized, I thought I'd try to build up a decent-looking spreadsheet with materials, prices, etc. for all kinds of foamsmithing projects. It started as a way to let new members in my realm know what they might need for a weapons build I hosted a couple weeks ago, but I figure it could also be really useful to the community at large, as well as potentially be included in that guide for newbies I brought up a while ago (thanks to Anastasia again for reposting that).

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

It's by no means comprehensive, which is why I'm here. I'd love for anyone to suggest fixes, additional items, or really anything at all to improve this spreadsheet. If you do suggest an addition, I'd really appreciate if you could provide all of the information about it (what it's called, where to get it, price, a link if possible, its use, etc) so all of that can be entered into the spreadsheet. Also if anyone thinks they'd like to contribute a significant amount to it, I'd be more than happy to give you editing privileges/co-ownership of the document.

As a side note, a friend of mine approached me the other day asking if I could work with him to make more detailed 3D models of weapons, so whenever we get around to doing that I'll try to get them posted on the wiki so that beginners have a better idea of what's going on.
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Re: Materials guide

Postby Soron » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 am

Ah, looks like a nice materials listing. I might contribute brief descriptions for some of the materials - I'm looking into starting a realm in New Zealand, and although "Walmart blue camp pad" is useless here, there's a green camp pad I've located that seems fairly similar to the blue stuff I remember from my university group. My local plastics experts say it looks like a form of polyethylene, which makes sense.

I could of course give advice on locating materials in New Zealand, but I suspect that would not be useful for too many people.
Trained in Salamandastron, living in New Zealand. Awash in a sea of low-impact foam fighters, it seems.
Soron
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2009
Realm: Salamandastron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board

Postby Alachi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 am

8' Band Shoppe poles http://www.bandshoppe.com/catalog/produ ... Flag_Poles 13.95 Spear core
10' Fiberglass poles http://www.mcmaster.com/#8535k21/=paiimi 25.34
Carbon Fiber/Bamboo poles for spears. I don't know anything about where to get those, but i'm very interested in those. ;)
Supreme Chancellor, TA
Alachi
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2011
Realm: Tir Asleen

Postby Karr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 pm

I thought that I would ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone have experience with online foam vendors like Foam Factory?
Squire to Sir Killian
Karr
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Obsidian Hollow
Unit: House Dregoth

Postby Tordek » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Have ordered 1/2" EVA from "foam for you", was pleased with the product, pricing is probably more comparable to standard walmart blue foam now that their price has been jacked up. Best thing to do is find a local foam supplier and buy their rolls that have imperfections, just use the damaged areas for shields, the good sections for blades.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Postby Plithut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 am

Karr wrote:I thought that I would ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone have experience with online foam vendors like Foam Factory?

Yes, their foam works fine for our game.
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Return to Foam Smithing