7' Red Mace

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

7' Red Mace

Postby Wesley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:03 pm

Hello everyone, long time no post.

I am in the process of building a seven foot red mace. My supplies are a band shop core, blue foam, M77 spray glue, heavy duty carpet tape, and hockey tape. I have cut the band shop down to just under 7' and capped it with duct tape and a quarter. I spiral wrapped strips of blue foam around it three times now. The first wrap was 2 inches wide and secured with carpet tape, the next two were 4 inches wide and spray glued. I have two layers of blue foam as caps and one-inch thick garden kneeling mat on the top so far, but that will be supplemented with another layer or two as I intend to make it stabbing.

My question is:

Is three layers of blue foam enough for such a weapon?

I cannot really test it on myself effectively considering the weapon's size. Smacking my leg how I can, however, it doesn't hit too hard. Could somebody with a lot more experience give me a yes or no with the amount of padding? I understand this kinda sucks through a forum, since you can't feel it and stuff, but I really appreciate any feedback.

Also any tips or advice for such a construction would be awesome, though I feel I'm doing pretty well so far.

Thanks all!

U p d a t e: Caleidah has just told me I should add at least 3 more, so I will do that. I wish I could get something better than blue foam. :|
Wesley
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Feb 2012
Realm: Kingdom of the Northlands
Unit: Sons of Silas
Favorite Fighting Styles: 8' Spear

Re: 7' Red Mace

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Do you have pics you could post? That should help considerably. Also, don't forget that carpet tape has a tendency to firm up a bit in the cold, so it may hit a bit harder in cold weather.

Also, I wouldn't go too far off the tip. You said you've already got 2 caps of blue foam on the tip, and then marine foam, and depending on the thickness of the marine foam that may be enough. Even with maces, going too far off of the core will quickly result in your stabbing tip folding over.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Celtic Christ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:02 am

Your best bet is to enlist a friend's help in testing. Some weapons that size do great with 2 layers, others need more depending on what adhesive was used and how tight the wrap is. Have the buddy whack you and see how you think it feels. That basic idea of if you don't trust it in someone else's hands it should fail.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Ragefire » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Use dap in the future, there is no better adhesive. On the bandshoppe reds that I have made, I have done one .5" layer of 4# foam and then three layers of the blue camp foam. I however had never made a club so I don't know how that sort of striking surface differs from an edged weapon.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Return to Foam Smithing