Flat Top v.s. Rounded Top

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Flat Top v.s. Rounded Top

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 am

So, an old realm mate of mine has been building is sword tips lately as shown in Figure A. Most instructions show the method shown in Figure B. He says that he has had better luck with the method he's using as far as tip stability goes, because it folds over less, based on his experience with it. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like some updated opinions on this.

Thoughts?

P.S. Ignore that I forgot to draw in biscuits.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: Flat Top v.s. Rounded Top

Postby Mint » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:19 pm

I done some builds using this method. It seems to work well based upon my observations. Just ensure the seamless blade layer is the outermost one.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 am

I recently built a min red using something similar to Figure A. 4lb box, 4lb cap on that box, then blue blade layers (no wraps or caps), with the stabbing tip on top. I still had problems with the two layers of yoga mat folding, even with the recommended strapping tape method and some hockey tape around the base of it. No evidence of the yoga mat wanting to shear off, either.

So I don't know if I did something wrong, or if it's just because of the length, or what. The majority of my stabbing tips a la Figure B have worked out just fine, though.

Edit: I also don't know what's up with the image, but I can't seem to view it in Chrome, but it works in IE. Might just be me, though.
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I have built both ways. I guess I like the traditional B build best, because it looks nicer to me and sword making is a great OCD outlet. I bet I could make either A or B and have them last equally long.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Talking with some other foamsmiths, they feel that the extra seams in Figure A creates more points of instability. I've always thought of it with Figure B that the continuity of the foam going up and over the top creates more side to side tension, as the foam is pulling continuously across, rather than stopping at a seam, and thus Figure B would be sturdier. The only thing I don't like is having so much distance from the core in the tip. I suppose the only solution is to get better foam so that I don't have to use as much, and thus don't have to have so much unstable foam.

Or I could switch to omniblades. I'm starting to feel I might move that way with my blue swords, but I just can't bring myself to make my reds that way; I like the feel of a good flat-blade.

I'm going to alter my design slightly for this build, I suppose, and I'm going to plasti-dip the top 8 inches or so of the 4# box. I'm also considering doing the first blade layer only up to the top, and then just wrapping the next layers up and over. That'll reduce the amount of foam on the top by at least 1/2", though I don't know if that'll make a big enough difference.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for stabilizing stabbing tips/tips in general?

Thanks in advance.

-Thurat-
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Ragefire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I used to blow out reds in like a month and now I do method A and I still have yet to blow one out. Plastidip helps too on the inner core layers.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:02 am

* it, Ragefire, I was just about to call this case closed and do Figure B. Why do you have to make me consider other options like an open minded foamsmith who is willing to accept the opinion of others? Why, damnit?!
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Return to Foam Smithing