First Time Smith, checking UK materials

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

First Time Smith, checking UK materials

Postby mr.darkness » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 am

Hey.

I am based in the UK ( so basically no actual Belegarth ), but your website seems to be the most informed. I am looking at making some basic 'blue swords' using this guide:

http://geddon.org/Updated_Blue_Sword_Tutorial

Being based in the UK, I just want to check that my materials are going to work. All the guides I have seen use american stuff, which often doesn't mean much in England. My main concern is my adhesive. I will try using 'Diall double sided carpet tape'. Unfortunately I can't find a link. It is basically good quality carpet tape, and is supposed to fix to all materials, so can hopefully attack my foam to my core.

My foam should be fine. It is just an equivalent to your walmart blue foam.

The core is the part I am most concerned about. I will be using PVC ( easiest to secure in UK ). However 'schedule 40' and 'schedule 80' don't appear to be terms used in the UK. Is this alright:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/iro ... Id=9293691

That should be long enough for a 39 inch sword, so I'll cut some off to make it approx 30-34"? Will this sort of thing be stiff enough? It is light enough to be wielded ( I've picked it up ), but is it suitable for what we are doing?

Thanks very much for any replies.
mr.darkness
Recruit
Recruit

Re: First Time Smith, checking UK materials

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 am

Swords can be built entirely using carpet tape as the adhesive, but be sure to protect those weapons from extreme heat and cold, and from wet or moist conditions, as carpet tape stiffens and loosens in cold and heat respectively, and is not waterproof.

As for the PVC that you linked, it appear to be the right stuff. SCH40 is thick walled, as that appear to be, and SCH80 has thicker walls still, and is somewhat stiffer. However, I would recommend against building such a long sword on that core. PVC is really only good up to about 30-32" before flexing and snapping becomes an issue. A core cut at 29" will give you a good 32" sword, which is a nice length for a beginner.

Hope that helps,

Thurat

P.S. If you decide that you're going to pursue bringing Belegarth to your neck of the woods, and want to start your own realm, post over in the "New Members" Forum, or send me a PM, and I can set you up with links to the necessary resources to do so.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby mr.darkness » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:23 am

extreme temperatures shouldn't be a problem, and as long as I bring it inside after use, it shouldn't get wet.

On the length, I only just realised that the padding will add an inch or two, so 29 inches should be perfect for the core.

As for starting my own realm, it would be awesome to do so, but to be honest, I don't think there is enough interest in my area. I believe that there are some historical re-enactment groups around, but I don't know of any specifics. I think I'l probably just be making two or three blue swords first, and seeing if anyone will give it a go.

Thanks very much for the help, I'm just waiting on the PVC now!!
mr.darkness
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Killian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Where are you located at in uk?
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby mr.darkness » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Northwest, north of Manchester.
mr.darkness
Recruit
Recruit