Heat-forming PVC

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Heat-forming PVC

Postby Rhuarc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:54 pm

I've seen on here that PVC is frowned upon compared to fiberglass. I've done a small bit of fighting with weapons made from PVC and I've experienced both unformed PVC and completely flattened PVC breaking on impact. What I'm wondering is if anyone has done any heat-forming of PVC to shape it. I've made a variety of weapons and it seems that when you only slightly flatten it, to a sort of ovular shape as opposed to circular, it grows much more rigid and gains a good deal of strength. Has anyone else experienced this or made Belegarth-legal weapons in this manner? Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions
Rhuarc
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Heat-forming PVC

Postby Tordek » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm

its a sound engineering theory, however the only experience ive had with heat formed pvc was to give the blade a curve to make more eastern style weapons. The reason we utilize Fiberglass over pvc is that it is stronger, more rigid, of similar price depending on where you get it. If you have PVC and you have time, you may as well try, if nothing else it fails, you learned something, and hopefully practiced your blade making skills (yes, it does require skill, ive coached a lot of fighters who cant seem to cut a straight line in the foam.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Re: Heat-forming PVC

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm

If you do want to give this a try, you might want to also do a piece up with more of a rectangular or square shape, as the foam adheres better to a flatter surface. Might not be as rigid on one plane as the oval, but would not flex as much side to side, which is a factor to consider when the blade strikes at an angle, or flats, and directly affects the longevity of the core.

Personally, I don't have any experience heat-forming PVC, but I know that one method of doing so was to cap one end, pour boiling water into the other until full, and then cap that end as well. Once the PVC heated enough, it could then be hammered, bent, and shaped.

Be sure to post pictures if you go ahead with this, and keep us updated. I find this intriguing.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing