volara questions

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

volara questions

Postby Argent » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I was just curious but has anybody ever used just straight volara for a flatblade? ive seen it used for the edhellen omniblades and barley bats with the combo of the 4pound and then wrapped in volara the rest of the way.

My idea was to use a fatigue foam for the box and then volara for the rest but wanted to ask since ive never really seen or heard of it used for flatblades besides a thin strip used as a final blade layer on reds
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Re: volara questions

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 pm

bdar did a circular wrap in thinner, maybe .25 volera for a box, then a layer of blue camp pad then a layer of volera on a couple swords I got in 2010.
I still use them. They're still fine. It's crazy.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby randy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes, most peoe here in cali say it hits too hard. Also it rips/tears easily, so you need to use plastic tape to keep it from tearing.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Brutus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:52 am

I did a Volara-only blade and I ended up needing a 1/2" of non-volara over the top just to keep it from hitting too hard. It made more of an oar than a sword.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Argent » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:23 pm

You sure you two arent talking about cross link polyethylene foam? because i had and hear those issues when it had to do with cross link polyethylene foam. only reason i question u guys is because barley bats were a 4lb box with a volara wrap and edhellen omni blades are just all volara and those hit just fine and dont have weight issues to my knowledge.

or maybe volara just works well as an omni weapon *shrug*

just curious why i havent seen or heard of it used for flat blades, besides putting just a single layer on reds
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Postby Brutus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:51 am

I was using Volara (TM) from Sekisui Voltek, in a 2 pound density. I don't know if other people are referring to something other than Volara when they use the same term. Incidentally, Volara IS cross-linked polyethylene. It just uses a different method for cross-linking the cells in the foam, irradiation. There is also chemically cross-linked polyethylene, which is what a lot of other types of foam are. Volara is very soft compared to these other foams. I suspect that the compression that the foam undergoes when it is wrapped also serves to stiffen it, which is why bats are a better use for Volara than blades.
Brutus

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Return to Foam Smithing