Tower Shield

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tower Shield

Postby combatvet187 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:13 am

So I have read the other threads about making shields. I just need to find out the best was to make a shield with a curve like the shield of Crixus in Spartacus blood and sand.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
"It is no easy task to sever a man's head. You must find the right angle."[3]
―Crixus
combatvet187
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Tower, Two handed Axe

Re: Tower Shield

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:18 pm

The shield you're referring to is known as a Roman scutum. Your best bet in creating it is to get a large blue barrel (you can find these used at some recycling shops for, like, $6), and cut off the top and bottom, and then cut it in half, or slightly more if you want the curve less extreme. After that, get either a good sturdy trowel handle, or part of a 2x4, and shape it to fit the curve of the inside of the shield; if using a 2x4, be sure to carve it into a handle first, and leave space for bolts. Place this handle horizontally (for historical accuracy and awesome comfort) about 1/4 of the way from the top of the shield, and bolt it in place. For the bolting, I recommend using tee-nuts. They'll be a bit more difficult to use on a curved plastic, but you otherwise will have to tear off the face of the shield when you have to replace the handle, or when the bolts come loose, as the heads of the bolts on the foam side will have nothing to grab onto, and will simply turn in place. Next, put two layers of foam on the face of the shield, add two layers to the edge, add a final layer to the face, and add another two layers the edge. This will give you a safe, awesome shield that you can use aggressively. It will be a bit heavy, but I've handled one built in this manner before (it was owned by a player with a gladiator persona), and it was pretty sweet.

Now, to get it to look exactly like that shield is going to require some plasti-dipping. Plasti-dip is a liquid rubber/foam/thing that is very popular in the boffer world for it's ability to safely and uniformly cover artistic detail on non-striking surfaces, and because it is a great paintable surface, while still remaining soft enough for incidental padding, such as shields, haft padding, and pommels. Honestly, there's more to it than I can even hope to explain in a short paragraph, so instead, go check out these links:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/plastidip/
http://www.calistonarmory.com/

And, of course, for more information on the more specific methods of shield construction, if you are unfamiliar with them, check out the Geddon. For a project like this, I would recommend holding off on the plastidipping and just going with a cloth cover until you are more comfortable as a foamsmith. PDing can be a very expensive project, and is very unforgiving of mistakes.

Cheers,

Thurat

P.S. An alternative to using the blue barrel that I had forgotten about, would be an all foam version. You'll also find a tutorial on the Geddon for a shield as I have described above, but using metal bracing. The shield i handled did not have this. However, that design also has the handle placed into a hole cut into the plastic, which created a weak spot, so that author may have found that necessary. If you do the handle as I described, you should be fine. If you do it as done in that other tutorial, then follow those directions and use the bracing.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Kyrian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

To make a curved wood-cored shield, you would need something similar to this shield press:

or perhaps a fairly large tree trunk to lash the shield to.

Here is the web link to the instructions on how build and use the shield press:

http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_shieldpress.asp

I suppose as another option, you could get a few pieces of 2.2# PE (that is currently used for all-foam shields) that you can glue together and then shave down but that could get kind of pricey depending on the foam you use.

Please keep in mind that I have never actually tried either of these methods so YMMV.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:26 pm

^That is incredibly cool.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage

Postby Kyrian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

One other thing to keep in mind to take into consideration how much foam you will be adding to the edges of the wood core and size the core accordingly. For example, if you want a shield 28" in width and if you add two inches of foam all the way around, your shield core should only be 24" in width. Unfortunately, this can sometimes make the process of installing the shield strapping a bit more challenging depending on where on the shield you want to put the straps. Making a punch would generally be more straightforward since you typically want your grip at the center of the shield.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby combatvet187 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks everyone for the info. A little more research and ill be ready to go. then i guess i have all winter to get used to the new gear.

Thanks again!
"It is no easy task to sever a man's head. You must find the right angle."[3]
―Crixus
combatvet187
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Tower, Two handed Axe

Return to Foam Smithing