Lightwight Blue ~35in blade

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Lightwight Blue ~35in blade

Postby Hallec » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:04 pm

I picked up a longer blue at practice the other day and was suddenly applying a lot more the skills I have from prior experience sabre fencing. Now I'm thinking about making a personal that's fairly analogous to a regulation fencing sabre.

I'm still extremely new to foam smithing so I'd appreciate feedback on core options. Is kitespar a good core at around 40in in total length? And if so, in what dimensions. I'm definitely looking to keep the weight on the lower side.
Hallec
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2013
Realm: Norcalia

Re: Lightwight Blue ~35in blade

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Kitespar at that length may have some issues with durability. Kitespar weapons in general won't hold up to a beating as well as 1/2" fiberglass, but at that length especially you'll need to be careful not to block red shots and the like, or you'll end up with your sword in two pieces.

Alternatively, you could go with 3/8 square fiberglass, if you can find it, though I'm not certain how it would do at that length. The other option would be traditional 1/2" round fiberglass. If you use some higher tech, lighter foam you can still get away with making a decent longsword. It won't fly like kitespar, but it'll give you a better run.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: Lightwight Blue ~35in blade

Postby randy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:12 pm

My 34-35" kite spar is .606 and hasn't broken in several years of fighting.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Return to Foam Smithing