plywood punch shield

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

plywood punch shield

Postby hozer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:53 pm

So I made a punch shield out of about half inch plywood - about 12 ok inches by 22 inches. I didn't put a hole for the grip like the wiki says but instead I put 2 layers of foam on the back to put my handle in. I accidentally cloth taped the hole handle (instead of just the grip) and dapped it to a groove in the foam

Problems:
1 - as I hold the shield and come in contact with stuff, my knuckles pound the wood.
2 - the handle seems to be glued a little loose, and some significant force might knock it off.

The front already has two layers of foam called on.

Is there any hope for saving this shield or should I start over?
hozer
Recruit
Recruit

Re: plywood punch shield

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:35 am

If you only have 2 layers of foam on the face of your shield, you probably need to add another anyway. What I would do is cut out the plywood in front of your hand, redo your handle if it is rotating or moving, and add another layer to your shield face. You would also do well to add a boss over where your hand will be, for stability and to protect your hand.

Alternatively, you could just convert it to a strap shield, but that isn't really necessary.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Magpie Saegar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm

So your handle..... is glued to foam which is glued to a plywood core? Yeah, that won't work.

I'd bolt the handle to the shield, no matter what, if it's cored. I'd also recommend doing what Thurat said and cutting out the circle and adding a boss.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby seldon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Salvaging your shield, my recommendations, based on the picture in my mind as you described it (which may not be reality)

1) Remove the handle you have

2) Cut out a circle in the center for your hand. The easiest way to do this is a with a 6 inch hole saw (~$25) and a quality power drill. The second best way to cut a circular hole is with a jig saw. The jig saw may give you trouble if you have two layers of foam on the back of the shield already because the saw may not cut the ply wood as it can bounce on the foam. If so you will have to rip off the backing foam.

3) Don't worry about cutting through the front foam on your shield. In fact you want to cut it out so there is a hole all the way through (gives room for your knuckles).

4) Cut a slot in your backing foam and get a new handle in the form of a piece of wood (like a 1 x 2). Round the handle a bit where your hand will grip it. Also put tape around only the grip. Finally glue and sc-rew it directly to the plywood.

5) On the face of your shield where you have a large hole, place an 8 inch circle of 1/2 inch blue foam over the hole. Glue it around the edge and then tape it down. The result is a only 1/2 inch of foam between your fist and the front of the shield.

6) If your face foam is deep enough this sometimes is sufficient on its own. But if your fist is right there you will want to cut a foam ball in half and place it over the center as a shield boss. I recommend making a cover first. Then sewing the 1/2 ball into the cover so that it is at the center of the shield.
(Something like: http://www.andrewwelton.com/static/olre ... G_1392.JPG)
seldon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Mar 1983

Return to Foam Smithing