Opinions on Modular arrowhead sources

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Opinions on Modular arrowhead sources

Postby Squirrel Feathers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 pm

I wasn't a fan of some of the early versions of modular arrow heads, but some of the newest designs have got me thinking about using those instead of making my own non-modular heads. Now that I have clarified that they are legal I'm trying to find someone who has experience with these to lend their opinion on which sources are worth giving a try and which should be avoided.

To help cut down on confusion, I am only interested in types that * into the head of the shaft and must be secured to the shaft with tape after that. And of course, they have to be constructed to meet or exceed BoW safety requirements.

Thanks in advance!
Squirrel Feathers
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 08 Jun 2009
Realm: De Treba Mora
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery...cause I'm broken! :D

Re: Opinions on Modular arrowhead sources

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Barley makes (or made; I don't know if he's still in business) some pretty wicked modular arrowheads. I don't know if they were * on or not, but I want to say that they are.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Squirrel Feathers » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:46 am

I've only seen three that I could find in searches on the web and forums. One I tossed right out. They looked hokey as hell. I went ahead and ordered one that looks well constructed. I'll probably tear it apart (not a waste of money IMO) to make sure it's constructed to what I consider a good standard (which I'm sure it as as the builder is active in the sport and likely has a reputation to protect) before I decide to get a bunch.

Of course if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free!
Squirrel Feathers
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 08 Jun 2009
Realm: De Treba Mora
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery...cause I'm broken! :D

Postby Kyrian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 pm

I've been using some of Barley's first generation modular arrowheads and I continue to use them now. They * into the metal insert and then you torque wrap tape on them to make sure they can't come off the arrow.

I also bought three of these: http://liveactionproducts.com/mark-7-modular-foam-arrowhead/ to playtest them. They are a lot lighter than my other arrows but they are definitely pricey. One thing I've definitely noticed though is how they tend to fly straighter than my other ones due to their manufacturing process.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to Foam Smithing