Shield Project looking for insight

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield Project looking for insight

Postby Claus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 am

I'm starting a shield project and was looking to get some advice. This is the sled I bought to use as a core.

I already know I want to drill new wholes and remount the handles on a 45 degree angle. I've looked up foam mats and bed rolls in my area so padding it shouldn't be a problem. I do plan to mount a shoulder strap as well so I can use it on my back while using RED.

My biggest question before I kick off the real work is regarding the slight curve of the nose of the sled. I don't want to saw it off I'd prefer to keep it at it's current size considering the foam will add some size too.

What would your suggestions be for the curve. On top curving in towards the wearer? On top curving out and away? On bottom curving in towards the wearer? On bottom curving out?

I was also contemplating mounting the handles long-ways to use the shield like an Urik-hai shield.

That's where I'm stuck making a decision. Any input? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 29 Jun 2012
Realm: Formally Thorum
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red Sword

Re: Shield Project looking for insight

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Regarding the curve, I would personally put it top and away. It will help prevent you from hitting your head on it when you wear it on your back.

As for strapping it lengthwise, that's perfectly legit as long as it doesn't measure more than 3ft in that direction once completed.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Claus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 am

Thurat wrote:Regarding the curve, I would personally put it top and away. It will help prevent you from hitting your head on it when you wear it on your back.

As for strapping it lengthwise, that's perfectly legit as long as it doesn't measure more than 3ft in that direction once completed.

I was thinking about the curve hitting my head or neck too. I think aiming out works best for doing back shield but I was wondering: If it's aimed out when in hand would that make it more vulnerable to being hooked and pulled by axes, hammers, or pole arms?

Regarding the length you're referring to, is that the length of the strap? The strap can't be past 3', or is a strap shield limited to 3' long?
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 am

Shields may not be more than 3ft wide when wielded as strapped. Don't think too much into it with the curve;it's inlikely to be as big of am n issue as you think. If you're that worried about it, take a belt sander to it or cut it off completely.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage

Postby Claus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 am

Great news! The board it self is only 17" wide without the padding and foam added yes. Assuming the packing foam will be 2" and the bedding foam will be about 1-2" I'm in good shape to use it as a strap shield too!

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will leave the curve on if it's not going to make much difference. That way I still have enough coverage area top to bottom.

I'll post more pictures once the gluing process begins.
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Claus » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:10 am

I just bought 6 pieces of floor mat from the store 5 Below at 2 for $5.

I have 2 questions before I get to building and cutting.

1. Would these mats be ok to use on a wood core like this?
http://geddon.org/Constructing_a_Strap_Shield
The reason I'm asking is because this style of build doesn't use open cell foam (couch cushion) for an exterior layer.

2. Is the waffle style shield build still field legal?
Its another option I was thinking of doing to maximize the layers of coverage with these mats was to do layers of criss-cross strips of foam.
http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/we ... shield.php

2. Is the waffle style shield build still field legal?
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 pm

I believe your shield will hit too solidly if you only use 4lb foam.

Those builds are both okay, but I'd suggest using a 2lb foam for most of it -- at least for the outer layers. Blue camp pad is the most common material I've seen used. Don't use couch cushion.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Celtic Christ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 am

I usually build mine with 1 layer 4# on the face and sides, 1 layer of blue to the back, and blue to the sides and face as needed (usu. 2 layers or so). The 3' wide rule becomes a concern if you use it in the lotr fashion like you were talking about. using it laterally like that changes which side would count as the width.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Claus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 am

Magpie Saegar wrote:I believe your shield will hit too solidly if you only use 4lb foam.

Those builds are both okay, but I'd suggest using a 2lb foam for most of it -- at least for the outer layers. Blue camp pad is the most common material I've seen used. Don't use couch cushion.

I think doing the waffle style might add the air pockets needed to soften the blow a bit. All 3 layers absorb well enough that my knuckles don't feel the board when I punch it, but I'll go the distance to make it softer.
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Claus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:49 am

Celtic Christ wrote: The 3' wide rule becomes a concern if you use it in the lotr fashion like you were talking about. using it laterally like that changes which side would count as the width.

I'm think I'm going to go in the normal tower shield direction. That will simplify the build. I'll save that style for a foam boogie board build.
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 am

To answer your other question, waffle shields are technically field legal, yes. However, they break down so much faster than solid foam that you would spend more time and money eventually repairing the shield than you would just using the standard construction method.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Claus » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Caleidah wrote:To answer your other question, waffle shields are technically field legal, yes. However, they break down so much faster than solid foam that you would spend more time and money eventually repairing the shield than you would just using the standard construction method.

Good point! I figured the wood core would be good and hold longer than a foam core, but that would be all for not if I had to keep replacing the surface foam.

Done and done! solid layers it is!

This is the inside with the 2" trim of foam. Will need some finagling around the strap when I decide where the strap will go permanently.

I measured the remainder of foam strips left and should have enough for 3 layers (*.5" =1.5") of the floor mat foam around the outside circumference.

I might go pick up a camping pad to do one more additional layer front and sides.
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Claus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:59 pm

The build got serious today when I busted out the DAP!

I started off with the facing:
-1st Layer

-2nd Layer

-3rd Layer

I attached the inner border and took a hand saw to the edge. This made an even surface for the edging to adhere to. As you can see the edge is a bit roughed up but its even top to bottom.

Adding the Edge Layers:
-1st layer of edge padding

-2nd layer of edge padding

-3rd layer edge padding ready to go

Duct taped the sides of the edge layers for stability. Screwed in the handle straps.

Screwed on leather belt for chest strap.
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Claus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:53 pm

FINISHED SHIELD TODAY!

Made a cover out of scrapping my old Hakama pants. Here's the facing...

Here's the inside...

Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby varadin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 am

i have a feeling that thing will hit like a ton of bricks being all 4 pound foam. You may need to add a layer of blue to soften it up a bit still.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Magpie Saegar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:38 am

Magpie Saegar wrote:I believe your shield will hit too solidly if you only use 4lb foam.

If it passes at a big event let me know -- I'm legitimately curious. I stand by what I said before you did this, though.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Claus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Varadin wrote:i have a feeling that thing will hit like a ton of bricks being all 4 pound foam. You may need to add a layer of blue to soften it up a bit still.

Magpie Saegar wrote:

If it passes at a big event let me know -- I'm legitimately curious. I stand by what I said before you did this, though.

I agree with both of you. I've pounded the edge of it hard and it is a bit tough and could afford to soften up with blue camp pads. I'm concerned myself about it passing at big events. I don't want to be stranded. So I do plan to pop into Muxlovia practice soon and see what they'd clear with it before taking it to a large event like Spring Wars.

I admit I was mostly driven to see if I could build one. I have found camp pads at walmart for $7.97 and I do plan to resurface the edges with all blue camp foam and at least one layer on the facing.
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tordek » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a 4lb core less punch that only uses 2lb on the edges, I had one fighter * about "feeling like core" on the face but it passed because every other checker thought it was fine, 4lb on the edge though will probably make it fail, it just cant spread the hit out like the face can, and yours is cored so it wont flex at all when struck.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Postby Claus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Hardiron wrote:I have a 4lb core less punch that only uses 2lb on the edges, I had one fighter * about "feeling like core" on the face but it passed because every other checker thought it was fine, 4lb on the edge though will probably make it fail, it just cant spread the hit out like the face can, and yours is cored so it wont flex at all when struck.

I understand what you mean. I got an art commission paying off. I can pick up camp pad and do about 2 layers on top of one layer of the 4lb foam for the circumference. I'll add one layer to the facing.

Thanks guys for all the help!
Claus
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Foam Smithing