Alternative foams and other naive Q's

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Alternative foams and other naive Q's

Postby Bitter » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm new to building and have been constructing all of my weapons directly off of geddon's instruction. Which is fine, but in speaking with other Belegrim I've had discussions of various ways to construct swords using 2lb and 4lb foam and a myriad of other confusing suggestions. My questions are thus:

1) Please define 2 and 4lb foam. What is it? Any examples of where to find it?

2) Is the construction of a speedbat/roundsword the same or comparable to the construction of a club?

3) Any suggestions for making a smaller pommel? The standard directions end up being bulky on smaller swords. I'm working with a 1/2" PVC core.

Thanks!
Bitter
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 22 Feb 2014
Realm: Nightfort

Re: Alternative foams and other naive Q's

Postby Tails » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:46 pm

1) Please define 2 and 4lb foam. What is it? Any examples of where to find it?

blue foam is 2#, puzzle mat is 4#. You can find them at walmart and target respectively. The poundage refers to density. a 1'x1'x1' cube of foam weighs 4lbs if it is 4# foam.

2) Is the construction of a speedbat/roundsword the same or comparable to the construction of a club?

The Foams are different, but I'd defer this question to someone who uses bats more than I. I have heard that these two items make a pretty light bat considering how easy it is.
http://www.warlordsports.com/Gear.aspx?item=36
http://www.warlordsports.com/Gear.aspx?item=59

3) Any suggestions for making a smaller pommel? The standard directions end up being bulky on smaller swords. I'm working with a 1/2" PVC core.

not working with pvc is a good start. They are good for a first weapon to get your sea legs, but fiberglass is much better.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Celtic Christ » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 am

Tails gave a pretty thorough explanation. The poundage is just the density. You may also want to look into open cell foam and/or yoga mat if you decide to make greens. Another source for the 4# foam are the floor mats from Harbor Freight. If you watch for their coupons you can pick up a pack for around $6. Fiberglass rods are best found (in my experience) at farm supply type stores.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm

As a rule of thumb on the fiberglass, you'll find them commonly in 3 sizes, which may vary based on your location. Each of these is good for weapons up to a certain length, before flex becomes an issue. Attempting to build past this recommended max core length will usually result in your weapon flexing out very quickly, or immediately, depending on the length. A general guide to fiberglass:
  • 3/8" round - good for a core up to ~28" in length; no recommended minimum. This will yield a weapon ~31" long. May be used for minimum length javelins, but expect flex issues relatively soon, depending on use.
  • 1/2" round - good for a core up to ~45" long; no recommended minimum. For blues, a piece cut at 29" will yield a weapon ~32" in length, which is a good starting weapon. A core cut at 45" will yield a min. red, coming out at just a hair over 48", but that is absolute maximum.
  • 5/8" round - good for a core up to ~5.5' in length. This will yield a weapon about 6' long. Beyond this risks early flexing issues, especially on massive weapons such as glaives and maces. This is also a decent core for a short spear, which can utilize the entire 6' length that this core is typically sold in. Recommended minimum is ~55". Below this, the core does not flex much, resulting in it hitting very firmly, and making appropriate padding difficult.

Hope that helps some.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra