Problem applying DAP

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Problem applying DAP

Postby Temujin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Hello,

I am a new foamsmith and I have found that I often leave the DAP dry either too little or too much. I found that what the wiki says is quite contradictory to what I have seen from experience. What are the signs that I should look for to tell me that the DAP is ready for use?

PS: I do not actually use DAP. I use another brand of contact cement which is available in my country, Resistol (Transparent variant).
Temujin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 May 2014
Realm: Saxum
Unit: The Dazing Star
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Re: Problem applying DAP

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 pm

What the wiki says about DAP is true for DAP; it cannot be held accountable for any other brands.

Read the instructions on the can carefully. It should tell you optimum temperatures and humidity, as well as recommended applications and drying times. I've never used any contact cement besides DAP for constructing weapons, so what personal experience I can share would only pertain to that. You may be able to find videos concerning the use of the contact cement you have, even if it isn't in a foam fighting application, which may help you get better results.

If your problem is that it is either too wet or too dry, but rarely perfect, you should take a look at the three most common variables that can cause issues therein:

*amount applied
*drying time
*atmosphere

If you are applying too much, it will take longer to dry, and may dry unevenly, causing problems. If you are applying too little, then it may be drying very quickly, and the bonds that do form may be weak. If you are waiting too long or too little, then you will have similar problems. Depending on the type of thinner used in the contact cement, your drying time may be much faster than DAP's, which may mean you have a smaller window to work within. Finally, make sure you are operating in the recommended temperature and humidity that the manufacturer has printed on the can. They want their product to be applicable in as high of a range as possible, and will give you the best advice as far as that goes.

Addressing those problems may help fix your issue. If it does not, it may simply be that the glue you are using is not suitable for bonding foam. Again, the can should say.

I hope that helps.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing