Making Throwing Axes/Knives

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Making Throwing Axes/Knives

Postby Temujin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Hello,

I am fully aware that these are not legal in Belegarth. However, my group would like to experiment with these weapons. I am not talking about rocks shaped like the mentioned weapons.

If you could give me some information on how to make these weapons I would be greatly thankful.

Thank you.
Temujin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 May 2014
Realm: Saxum
Unit: The Dazing Star
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Re: Making Throwing Axes/Knives

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 am

The problem with having legitimate throwing weapons outside of those simply shaped like axes or knives is that it is impossible to determine, in our type of combat, readily if it was the striking surface that struck the opponent. Then, there's the issue of what happens if a non-striking surface hits, and the kind of damage that could result, even if such weapons were not head legal. If they were head legal, then the entire thing would need to padded so as not to cause injury to the face, which is impossible with a weapon that isn't open cell foam on all areas that are likely to strike (in a weapon that is whirling end over end, the possibility of hitting with the handle is as great as with the blade). If they weren't head legal, then there would be the issue of normal weapons being confused with the throwing legal ones. Combine that with the confusion of a large battle, and it becomes implausible to have such weapons.

The only real solution is the one that exists, which is to shape your rocks like knives or axes, and for them to be coreless and have a cloth cover. I honestly have no idea how else it could be done.

I know that's not what you were looking for, but it's the most sound advice I can give. Someone else may wander in with something more akin to what you're looking for.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Korbin the Mad » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

The only way I can think to approach this is to use coreless layers of blue foam to shape and craft these. Take a sheet of blue foam and cut out the shape of a small axe or knife. Do that three times or so, or until they're as thick as you want them, and make sure your edges are rounded. Maybe throw a cover and some fabric tape on there (dear god stay away from duct tape for this project).

This strikes me as a lulz weapon, since as Thurat said there would be no way to determine whether the striking surface hit or not. It would have to be like the javeline, where the user calls "point" if it was a solid shot. Also, who knows how it would fly, or if the range would be worth the work. I also would not recommend making these head legal.

Make sure your group knows what they're signing on for. If you guys fight the way we do, then these things are going to be pretty destructive. We don't whip closed cell foam at each other for a reason. Not for the weak of resolve. There's nothing wrong with deviating from the BoW, but don't be stupid.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad|House Dunamai
Mad Lord of House Dunamai and the Madlands
Usufructary of Ancilla Ignis
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Arnor
Unit: House Dunamai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Spear
Archery

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:02 am

Ignore the other posts, I got yer back homie.
Know that there is literally NOTHING worst then when your battles just become throwing weapon battles. it is SUPER lame.
That said, have fun!
http://www.calistonarmory.com/index.php/tutorials/
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Foam Smithing