Advice for Red Sword

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Advice for Red Sword

Postby Nobeard » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:23 pm

So, this is my first Red sword. On that note, what I plan to be using and the size, etc.
Blade:
-5 foot long 1 inch hollow fiberglass core with 1/8 inch walls, flex is not a problem.
-box of high density foam (weightlifting mats)
-Second box? I'm not sure, if so, what kind of foam?
-2 blade layers of blue camping foam, or should I do 3?
-1-2 layers of yoga mat for stab tip.
Non-blade:
-wood dowels to oblong the handle.
-What should I use for counterweights?
Nobeard
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: De-Treba Mora
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Florentine, Red Sword.

Re: Advice for Red Sword

Postby randy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 pm

From what your describing, I think your build has WAY too many layers of foam. The high density foam creating the box is enough, then I would do 1 layer of yoga mat and the stab tip/blade layer. That should be plenty. If not, you can always add a layer of camp pad in between the box and the yoga mat.

Add extra foam basically makes the weapon unwieldy and ineffective, what it doesn't do is make it more safe.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Nobeard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:28 am

I build blue weapons with a box and 2 layers of blue foam for the blade, then 1 layer of yoga mat on the tip. I'm wondering if for the red I should double box it or not (it has been mentioned before), and if I should use 2 or 3 layers of blue foam for the blade. I was also wondering if I would be ok with just 1 layer of yoga on the tip, or if I would need 2. (I only put yoga mat on the tip of the weapon for stab.

From what you're saying, I'm gathering that I'm fine with just a regular box made from the high density 4# foam. What you say next though is slightly confusing. Are you saying that at this point to just slap a layer of yoga mat on as the first blade layer, then a layer of blue foam as the second blade layer and call it good as a red/green sword?
Nobeard
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am

From what you're describing, you build is Bandshoppe pole, 4# foam, blue foam, and 1/2" yoga mat.

If that's correct, then you would want to do a 4# box, 3 layers of blue foam, and then a 2-layer stab tip. Double boxing is not necessary. Using a layer of yoga mat in place of your first blade layer is one option, as Randy said, but I personally have had bad results building with that method. Your core for this size of a weapon, assuming you are using bandshoppe, which is what your description sounds like, is a bit on the stiff side. Too little flex can make weapons hit very hard, meaning that no reasonable amount of foam will make them pass hit. At 5', bandshoppe is a little iffy. It'll probably work, but you may end up needing an extra layer of foam.

Anyway, how I would recommend building this weapon, is as follows:

• Prep core. Biscuit the ends.
  • 4# box
  • 1 layer of foam on striking surface, on each side, covering seams (do not go up and over)
  • Bevel the edge of the blade foam at the tip at a slight (<45) angle, on each side.
  • 2nd layer of foam up to bevel of first, on each side. Bevel as former.
  • 3rd layer of foam up and over last layer.
  • Bilayered marine foam (yoga mat; assuming 1/2" thick yoga mat) for top
  • Tape for stability, as shown below
  • Build cover, handle, and pommel as desired.

Visual representation:

Based off of Adakan's Stable Tip Design, found here.
Image not proportionally correct.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Nobeard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:17 am

Not actually bandshoppe, but it may as well be. I knew as soon as the core came in that not enough flex could be a problem. Would perhaps another kind of foam help with this?

Why bevel the edges on the first 2 layers, rather than going up and over? I've never seen that before despite 9 years of Belegarth.
Nobeard
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24 am

Tip stability. The excessive foam on the tip from the up-and-over method is unnecessary with marine foam stabbing tips, and in contributes heavily to tip foldover and expedites tip blow-out.

I've built my last few swords in this manner, and the stabbing tips are very sturdy, and have for stabbing without any issues. I've only used this for blue swords, I should mention, so I actually only do 2 layers of blue foam. That does make them a bit stiff out of the box, but still passing. For my reds, when I use blue foam, I use a 4# box with 3 layers of foam, and a bilayer stabbing tip.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing