Build rules for swords/shields

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Build rules for swords/shields

Postby Evauk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:19 pm

So I have seen some answers kinda related to my question, but they mostly involed 'get it inspected at CW' or similar. So forgive my new-to-Belegarth question if the answer is out there...

Ive done foamsmithing before, but mostly Amtgard and similar styles. Seeing the swords, boards, and more of Belegarth made me wonder if there is a set rule and guideline on how they -must- be built.

To be more spcific, must a shieLd be of plywood? How thick should the outer foam ring be on a shield (that covers the edges of the core material)? On a sword, Ive seen round blades, and edged swords (such as on the wiki how-to), can either be used? If the sword is a flat blade, does the core need to be fiberglass.or pvc? What are shield restrictions in regards to size? I think I noticed somewhere a shield of any kind must be 12inches or greater...but is there a size restriction on a buckler, round shield, tower shield, etc. I was informed that Madu's are not allowed and believe that was confirmed on the wiki too.

So, yea, what can I do for a sword core wise, shape, etc. Im not talking scyths or
oversized swords, just regular length and such. I just couldnt find any specific rule that said it.must have a 'cutting edge' vs a rounded blade (like just a piece of fun noodle over the core, so that its all round). Unless I missed that all somewhere, but Ive been looking for a couple days and figured I would ask before starting on my weapons.

**sorry for any typos, all done on a new mobile phone**

o7
Do not fear, for fear is the mind killer.

Your size does not matter, your sword does not matter. It all depends on your state of mind. Think you will win? Prove it.

+~+ Heathen Heart ~ Pagan Pride +~+
Evauk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n board

Re: Build rules for swords/shields

Postby Nobeard » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Core for a sword can be fiberglass, kite-spar, PVC, etc. Metal is not allowed, fiberglass is recommended. Shape wise, there's no rule. You can do double edged flat blade, round blade, single edged flat blade, etc. If you do round, you will get flak because it's considered cheesing, and having a flat-blade will in the long run increase your skill as a fighter. Fun noodle around the core will not be sufficient padding though.

Shields, they do not have to have a plywood core, it can be all foam if you want. If you have a core, 3-4 layers on the outer edge should be fine. Shield restrictions in regard to size, is it must be at least 12 inches across in all directions, there's no particular classifications for shields, so I can have a 4 foot tall buckler. Maximum width for any shield is 3 feet. The maximum height for any shield is 18 inches less than that of the wielder, how you decide to shape it/carry it is entirely up to you.

Link to the Belegarth BoW: http://belegarth.com/rules.php
Nobeard
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: De-Treba Mora
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Florentine, Red Sword.

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm

There aren't any rules governing what a weapon may be built from. The only restrictions are those for size and weight, as outlined in the BoW. I highly recommend building your first set of gear based on the wiki tutorials, but shields don't *have* to be made of any particular core material, and neither do swords, regardless of your build. Now, there are certain materials and build styles that simply will not work, but they fail because they don't work, for specific reasons, not for what they are. The same goes for round vs. flat blades. As for construction style, that is also largely unregulated. There are requirements that you must meet with your equipment (i.e. weight, length, padding, handle, etc.), but how you meet those requirements is up to you, so long as it is safe.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Celtic Christ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:50 am

The rules dictate how it must hit in the end. Whatever core you take (sans metal), if it can pass hit, it's good. For the most part, Bel doesn't care how it's made, but rather how it hits your potential opponent.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Evauk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Awesome. Exactly the replies I was looking for! Thank you everyone!
Do not fear, for fear is the mind killer.

Your size does not matter, your sword does not matter. It all depends on your state of mind. Think you will win? Prove it.

+~+ Heathen Heart ~ Pagan Pride +~+
Evauk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n board

Postby Celtic Christ » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:13 am

good luck with the builds mate. We look forward to seeing what a new foamsmith brings to the table. For the record, once you figure out the hit calibration, go buck wild. That's how i got to where I am as a smith. Make it safe, but strive to make people think ":* did he do to make that."
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Return to Foam Smithing