Material Sources and Consistency

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Material Sources and Consistency

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm looking into ordering materials to build equipment for my local Bel realm, and I've read that consistency and quality varies from supplier to supplier, so I have some questions regarding a few different suppliers for foam and cores.

For foam, I've read that the foam from foambymail.com is extremely inconsistent, but I haven't heard anything about the other two suppliers that I've looked at: Foam Factory (http://www.thefoamfactory.com/) and Foam N' More (foamforyou.com).

For cores, I was looking at 1/2" round fiberglass from The Horse Fence Store (http://www.electric-horse-fence.com/) and Kencove (http://www.kencove.com/). I've ordered from The Horse Fence Store, and had good results thus far, but never ordered from Kencove; Kencove seems a bit cheaper.

If anyone has any input on these suppliers, or can suggest others, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance!
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: Material Sources and Consistency

Postby Brutus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:02 pm

I get my fiberglass from Kencove, and always have. I can't compare it directly to horse-fence, but it works very well. I've never had a piece of fiberglass break from them. I can't say whether it's exactly the same stuff as horse-fence, but it is the pure-white fiberglass with long strands (if you ever cut a piece almost all the way through, but have some fibers at the edge tear off a few inches up the core, you'll know what I mean).
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:59 am

Yeah, the horse store stuff is pultruded as well. I've just heard that some brands flex less than others, or are more consistent in their strength. Not a big deal since I won't make anything longer than a min-red on them, but I figured it was worth asking about.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 am

I got my samples in from Foam Factory today. Pictures and commentary may be found in this Facebook album.

Regarding the 2.2lb PE plank sample, are you supposed to be able to pop bubbles on the edge of the foam?
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Dangus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Thurat wrote:Regarding the 2.2lb PE plank sample, are you supposed to be able to pop bubbles on the edge of the foam?
This shouldn't happen on the 2.2# planks. I have some white 2.2# in my garage right now and I can barely compress a 1/2"thick piece enough to get my thumb all the way to the table. It sounds like they may have sent you 1.7#, or perhaps there was a defect in that particular batch.

Edit: I took a look at the photos in your album, particularly the 2# PE, and I agree with your caption, it does look a lot like blue foam, due to its particularly wide and spread out cells. Again, this could be a batch-to-batch thing, but I think you'll have better luck with high-end striking surface foam if you seek out "Cross-link polyethylene" (XPE). Typically with cross-linking you'll find smaller cells, a smoother surface and increased durability.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:47 pm

I've used Minicell (XPE) in the past, and I've found that I don't care for it as much as I do for the PE as far as striking surface goes. For the box layer, I find the 4# EVA variety of XPE makes an awesome box. With the 2# MC, it certainly has been more durable, and it has passed for hit, but I find that it makes some rather unfriendly weapons.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Dangus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Thurat wrote:I've used Minicell (XPE) in the past, and I've found that I don't care for it as much as I do for the PE as far as striking surface goes. For the box layer, I find the 4# EVA variety of XPE makes an awesome box. With the 2# MC, it certainly has been more durable, and it has passed for hit, but I find that it makes some rather unfriendly weapons.

You're mistaken in your assumption that microcellular foams are all XPE, because they are not. They are similar, but they are also very different. You're right when you say that MC foam makes for a less than friendly hit, which is why it's primary use is as a box foam. 2# XPE is the foam used in Edhellen fries and WLS bats; it has a tight, cellular density and a smooth surface, with a barely visible "cross-hatch" type pattern.

Edit: I think there might be some misunderstanding going on in this world of Bel and foam so I think I'll clarify: "MC Foam" as we know it is known in the industry as IXPE (Irradiated cross-link polyethylene), and while it IS crosslinked, it is not the same as XLPE (Cross-link polyethylene).
Last edited by Dangus on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Ah, I had thought that Minicell/Microcell were trade names for cross-linked polyethylene. Thanks for the correction.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Temujin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:38 pm

Thurat wrote:I got my samples in from Foam Factory today. Pictures and commentary may be found in this Facebook album.

That #2.2 PE stuff seems oddly similar to the stuff I get at my local distributor... it is even exactly the same density...

It is the most reliable foam I have used, though. It is also the only type of closed foam I ever used, anything else is really hard to get over here at Mexico(The realm over at Tepic uses thin layers of rubber foam, ouch). It is also dirt cheap! I checked the prices for a full roll over at foam factory, and over here it is 1/3 of the price for 1/2 inch stuff. Of course, our contact cement costs more, as does our duct tape, fiberglass, polyurethane, and much, much more.
Temujin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 May 2014
Realm: Saxum
Unit: The Dazing Star
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Return to Foam Smithing