Core/ build ideas needed

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Core/ build ideas needed

Postby Myles » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:24 pm

So I have been playing around with the idea of Q staffs don't need to be any heavier then 12 oz because they fall under being a blue. So I am trying to figure out a core/build that could be that light or at least under 24 oz at 5/6 feet long and handle they stresses of Bel any ideas?

For **** and giggles./ would like to see the q staff get some love every once and a while.
Myles
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 13 Mar 2010
Realm: Anduril
Unit: Guild of Dragons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red and turtle shield

Re: Core/ build ideas needed

Postby Dangus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Myles wrote:So I have been playing around with the idea of Q staffs don't need to be any heavier then 12 oz because they fall under being a blue. So I am trying to figure out a core/build that could be that light or at least under 24 oz at 5/6 feet long and handle they stresses of Bel any ideas?

For **** and giggles./ would like to see the q staff get some love every once and a while.

Cores, capable of being that light, at that length will be too flexy. If I was going to try to make a lightweight quarterstaff, I would probably choose a relatively straight length of Tonkin bamboo, about 3/4" in outer diameter, then go from there. However, after foam, glue, tape and covers I would be surprised if you could keep it under 20oz.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Myles » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 pm

kk thx ill look into that also heard about some special treated bamboos that could work dont know much about them though 20 oz would still be awesome just aiming for as light as possible honestly.
Myles
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 13 Mar 2010
Realm: Anduril
Unit: Guild of Dragons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red and turtle shield

Postby Derian » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:05 am

Depending on how much cash you want to drop, a carbon fiber tube might do the trick. Expect to pay well over $100 for the core, though.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Foam Smithing