Must the handle touch the pommel?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Must the handle touch the pommel?

Postby rei_shards » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:32 am

(quarter staffs exempt)
Must the pommel touch the handle for it to be legal? Could make a weapon with 10 inches of courtesy padding between the handle and the pommel? I'm sure that only courtesy padding would be permitted and not a blade edge(quarter staff rules stuff). I am also highly certain that it would hold no use to move the handle up the weapon shaft, but would it be legal?
rei_shards
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Must the handle touch the pommel?

Postby Celtic Christ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:11 am

Appendix A 1.1.4. defines the pommel as, "Non-striking Surface that covers the end of the Handle". I think the 10" of courtesy padding would technically make it a 12" or so pommel. The only reason I can think to do it though would be to get around the maximum handle lengths and then we're into creative interpretation (1.4. Creative interpretation of the rules to gain any advantage is discouraged. These rules are intentionally sparse to allow for ease of use. The Marshal, according to these rules, and medieval foam combat precedent, settles all disputes.) Someone better versed ought to come along with a bit better answer before too long. If nothing else though, lay out our idea to your local marshal and see what his call is. You may at least be able to experiment with it and use it locally.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Must the handle touch the pommel?

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:46 pm

^Exactly what he said. The only reason to split haft padding would be to skirt handle length rules. The purpose of haft padding is to have extra padding behind the blade on long weapons (e.g., glaives). If you just move all of that padding to the pommel end, it defeats the purpose of the haft padding, and makes the weapon dangerous.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing