Spiked bat???

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Spiked bat???

Postby MurphyTheDerpy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:57 pm

My roommate is wondering about the legality of a spiked bat as a blue. The nails would be just inch and a half long pieces of blue foam. Would the foam nails count for entanglement?
Basically it would be the same construct as a normal club. Then dap on nine or ten 1 1/2"x 1/2" x 1/2" pieces of blue foam onto random spots around the top third of the bat. Since I'm a new builder I usually use tights for the base of my covers. Basically take some tights and stretch them over the whole thing. Take a knife or some scissors and cut small Xs over the tops of the "nails". After that sew little mini covers over the "nails".
MurphyTheDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Oct 2014
Realm: Minas Ithil
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florintine blue blades

Re: Spiked bat???

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:10 am

I would be concerned about projections that large hitting someone in the eye. Blue foam or not, that's going to cause some serious damage.

I would limit the size of projections to 1/2". Make it a studded mace instead. It'll fit better under your tights covers, and it'll be more durable (those 1.5" "nails" would rip off quite easily).
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: Spiked bat???

Postby zimboptoo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:06 pm

1.3.3. Two and one-half inch rule - No surface on a striking edge (sword tip, arrow head, spear head, javelin head, etc.) whether designed for stabbing or not, may readily pass more than 0.5 inch (1.25 cm) through a 2.5 inch (6.5 cm) hole;

Some (many?) people interpret this rule to include any protrusion from the striking surface, which includes the studs and spikes on studded/spiked maces. Anything that sticks out more than 1/2" is at risk of getting failed under this rule. The reason being that it would fit easily into an eye socket.

Also, as Thurat said, 1/2" spikes will be a lot more durable, and you won't have to sew a mini cover for each protrusion.
zimboptoo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2014
Realm: Rhovanion

Return to Foam Smithing