Arrowhead Tethers

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Arrowhead Tethers

Postby Tordek » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:07 pm

So, I am aware that archery is by far the most dangerous aspect of our game, since it is the only real weapon we modify for safety, rather than building weapon analogs from the getgo. I was witness to one of the freak accident possibilities of archery in our sport this summer when an arrow broke as it skipped off of someones shield, and the head broke free at the draw stop, leaving the shaft exposed and still in flight. This shaft continued to fly straight until it embedded itself in the ground about 30 feet from where i was sitting, knock sticking into the air. I want to make it clear, this was not the fault of the archer who built the arrows, the one who fired them, or the weapon checker, but rather an event of chance. That being said, I believe it is something that can very easily be remedied. Formula style race cars for years now have required tethers on their wheels in case of an accident or suspension failure to prevent the wheel/tire from breaking free of the car. I have adopted this idea to belegarth arrows. Should the head break off mid flight, it will remain attached and should, with the arrow now severely off balance, tumble from the air and have a significantly less chance of injuring someone. There is almost no weight addition from the twine used, and it is extremely easy to add to arrows during construction.

I do have photos of my arrows with these tethers, but I am utterly incompetent at loading them to the page. Anyway, discussion?
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Re: Arrowhead Tethers

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm

FTFY
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage

Re: Arrowhead Tethers

Postby Tails » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Where is the "top" and "bottom" of these teathers?
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Return to Foam Smithing