The Miracle of the Biscuit

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

The Miracle of the Biscuit

Postby Temujin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Just today I made another blue sword. Normally I use coins to cap the PVC pipe, but today I decided to try the biscuit technique. I did, and to my surprise, the sword was very light(by my standards). So light, in fact, that I could handle it better than my counterweighted sword. I attributed this to the usage of the rope handle, which is new to me. Then I tested against other swords, which I had made earlier, grabbing them from different places and angles, I determined that they were, indeed, noticeably heaver.

Then I asked myself, "What could have modified the weight so much?". The procedure had been exactly the same, except for... The handle and the cap! I quickly determined that it was illogical for the rope handle to have affected the weight so much. But so was the cap... since the coins only weigh 7 grams in total.

So now I am really puzzled about this. Another thing is the contact cement. It is a few months old, but I have been really caring about it, even sealing it with duct tape when it is not in use. I was also quite light on it. I do not remember if I used more back when I made the other swords, and it was definitely not too little. Since the swords I compared it to were quite older, maybe they get heavier with age. I am using 2# polythylene foam.

What do you think caused the weight to decrease?
Temujin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 May 2014
Realm: Saxum
Unit: The Dazing Star
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Re: The Miracle of the Biscuit

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 pm

I think it depends a lot on when you made your last sword (like your first swords or swords from years ago?). I like to think much of the time a sword is light because a good crafts-person is better at cutting straight pieces of foam of exactly the right width. If you are the type of person to throw out a piece because it is 1/16" off, then you will end up with a lighter sword. Using exact amounts of adhesive or support tapes does the same thing...overall, you use the right amount and the weight comes down. I know when I build for the company my swords gain about 4 oz because I move fast to get more swords done. I slow down for my personal weapons and I have to add weight back in to make minimum because I was deliberate and careful.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting