spring padded spear

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

spring padded spear

Postby Rahvin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 am

I would like to show everyone some new tech I've developed.

It involves using a spring to help cushion a spear's blow.

A video showing the spear's build is linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2SfEWz_ew

The spring helps to soften the spear's blow by adding distance over which the spear decelerates when it strikes a target. Because it takes more pressure to depress the spring than the foam it helps the transition when the foam in the spear head fully compresses and force is moved into the spear pole so you don't feel as much of the spear's punch.

I've already built a spear on this setup with the spring in the spear's head and it works well. Over the winter I'll be building another with the spring on the pommel end.

The spring has a rate of approximately 25 lbs. Initially, I thought the spring would be too stiff; however, it bottoms out on the high end of a medium stab. I added the spring to the spear to make it hit more safely on hard stabs because I know it can be uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of one. It was a very interesting project; by having something to measure how the spears hit, I was surprised to discover how hard normal stabs have become in this sport.
Last edited by Rahvin on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knight of the Highlands of Chaos

Brotherhood of the Falcon
Rahvin
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 05 May 2006
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: spear

Re: spring padded spear

Postby Celtic Christ » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:42 am

I like the hell out of that design. For securing the nut, I'd use two nuts and red loctite. The nuts and bolt are my only concern. How would you plan to cover/pad them at the head?
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Rahvin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 am

You cover it the same way you would build a normal spear head. The only difference is you have to make some grooves in the foam so that the head can slide underneath.

Rahvin
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Dangus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:38 pm

There's a guy in Amtgard who has done this already, named Oznog. He made a spring loaded spear that, according to his wiki: "you can stab as hard as you want and not hurt the person you hit except it may send them flying."

I don't know if that sounds like a particularly safe idea to me.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:54 am

It's an interesting concept, but how is it different/better than using a higher density open cell foam for the head? Furthermore, how will the design utilize haft padding at the head? If you put the spring at the pommel, how will it be useful to reduce force at that point? If uncovered, how will the moving parts potentially endanger other players or the wielder?
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Dangus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:10 pm

I think it's also important to remember that a compressed spring returns with about 1/4 of the force of the initial load(dependent on several variables of course). So, if you exerted 25lbf of force into a stab, the spring would return with 6.25lbf. I'm not sure about how that stack up to the return force of fully compressed foam, but I'd be relatively certain it was less than that.

spring calculator: http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/s ... _force.cfm
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Rahvin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Thurat wrote:It's an interesting concept, but how is it different/better than using a higher density open cell foam for the head? Furthermore, how will the design utilize haft padding at the head? If you put the spring at the pommel, how will it be useful to reduce force at that point? If uncovered, how will the moving parts potentially endanger other players or the wielder?

The problem I run into is that if I add more foam to the head of the spear I increase the risk of the head folding over. The spring gives me an extra inch of compression without having to bother with any foam issues.

Haft padding at the head just needs a little overlap to cover the gap that's caused by the movement.

A spring at the head absorbs energy more efficiently than it does at the pommel. However, my hardest stabs are actually when I'm one-handed (because of the increased body mechanics) which should still allow the spring to compress. Also, since I can bottom out the spring a little too easily, having it work a little less efficiently at the pommel end may be just fine.

I see no risks with the spring at the head end because it's covered so well. If it's on the pommel and if it were uncovered you would have to worry about catching the moving bold ends in your palm or you would have to worry about pinching your skin between the band shop pole and the slide.

Rahvin
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Rahvin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Dangus wrote:I think it's also important to remember that a compressed spring returns with about 1/4 of the force of the initial load(dependent on several variables of course). So, if you exerted 25lbf of force into a stab, the spring would return with 6.25lbf. I'm not sure about how that stack up to the return force of fully compressed foam, but I'd be relatively certain it was less than that.

spring calculator: http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/s ... _force.cfm

It does kind of throw you off of itself at the end.

Rahvin
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Wid Lewin » Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Any update on this? How has this held up/been received at events?
Wid Lewin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B
Archery

Return to Foam Smithing