bat keeps coring

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

bat keeps coring

Postby Rezna » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:22 pm

I am a first year fight who has been making his own weapons for about 2 months now but i keep running into the same issue. I am using light coats of dap on blue camp pad with the edges shaved down to make a flush fit on the core and the other side of the foam. In the last 2 months i have rebuilt the striking surface of my weapons 5 times. im curious if i am just that rough on them or if there is something i am missing. any help with this issue is much appreicated.
Rezna
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 May 2015
Realm: Halbren
Unit: Karbide
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword and Board, Red

Re: bat keeps coring

Postby BubbaBoken » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:54 am

Are you giving the dap time to set? And a heavier coat might help as the blue pad will absorb some.
Tai' Shar Malkier
BubbaBoken
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2009
Realm: Malkier
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Postby Dangus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:38 am

Rezna wrote:I am a first year fight who has been making his own weapons for about 2 months now but i keep running into the same issue. I am using light coats of dap on blue camp pad with the edges shaved down to make a flush fit on the core and the other side of the foam. In the last 2 months i have rebuilt the striking surface of my weapons 5 times. im curious if i am just that rough on them or if there is something i am missing. any help with this issue is much appreicated.

Hey there, I've been making bats for a long time, maybe I can help. Typically with bats, the weak point in their construction is the stack of foam on the end used to cap the bat and/or make a stabbing tip; as I'm a little confused as to your construction method, I can't say for sure whether or not that is your problem.

Could you elaborate on your construction methods? I could probably give you a better answer, if I knew a little about your build process.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Kyrian » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Can you take pictures of the bat and the failure point both from the side and from the top? It might help us see why the weapon is breaking down.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Rezna » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

i currently have to bats striped down to the core to rebuild them. the dap is drying to the point were it is tacky( for lack of better wording) but once it touches something there is no turning back from there. i am dapping both sides of foam. i start with figuring out the angle to cut the foam so it sits flush both on the core and the next layer of foam that wraps around it. i make sure to sand down to top of the layer so it is flush when i dap the top 2 layers of foam on. the bats are none stabbing.
Rezna
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dangus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Rezna wrote:i currently have to bats striped down to the core to rebuild them. the dap is drying to the point were it is tacky( for lack of better wording) but once it touches something there is no turning back from there. i am dapping both sides of foam. i start with figuring out the angle to cut the foam so it sits flush both on the core and the next layer of foam that wraps around it. i make sure to sand down to top of the layer so it is flush when i dap the top 2 layers of foam on. the bats are none stabbing.

So, let me see if I'm understanding you correctly.

Is your process to make a box around the core, shave off the corners (making an octagonal "box") then spiral-wrap a long strip of foam either up or down the box?

Or are you wrapping a solid, blade-length piece horizontally around the octa-box?

Also, I assume you're using blue foam ~1/2"?
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Postby Rezna » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:47 am

I'm really bad at explaining things sorry. I'm barber shopping the core then applying the striking surface foam
Rezna
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dangus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Rezna wrote:I'm really bad at explaining things sorry. I'm barber shopping the core then applying the striking surface foam

That's your problem.

"Barber-pole" wraps leave gaps between each spiral, which is creating a weak spot. This method also typically requires a lot of effort not to stretch and pull the foam as your wrapping it; it's a simple, yet often made mistake that may be further compromising your build.

My advice is this: Ditch the barber-pole method, and build a more conventional box as your base layer.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Postby Rezna » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:31 am

now will the box method help prevent the weapon coring out as well?
Rezna
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dangus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Rezna wrote:now will the box method help prevent the weapon coring out as well?

In theory, yes. However, the foam and the core you choose to use will impact the lifespan of your weapon as well.

Taping the striking surface with thin, clear packaging tape can also improve the lifespan of a weapon. That is to say, laying strips vertically up the blade, slightly overlapping.
If you choose to try this technique, DO NOT spiral a single piece of tape from end to end.

Most importantly: making good bats is hard. Making good bats that last is even harder. During my hey-day, I'd go through one bat (2.5" diameter, 30" long, 13oz) in about a month of weekend practices.

Those bats were made using .524" kitespar, 1/4" XPE and 1/2" XPE.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Postby Mordekiem » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Have you considered precut tubes such as those from Warlord sports or another store?

you can also use foam and rout it out, but that takes more skill and the proper equipment.
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2013

Return to Foam Smithing