Pvc filling allowed?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Pvc filling allowed?

Postby Jirou » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:08 am

I'm really new to belegarth (just one practice so far ) and I'm about to make my first weapon the core will be PVC but I would like to know if I am allowed to fill the 1inch Pvc with some spray foam (the polyurethane kind that comes in a can from home depot ) for extra weight and strength.

Edit: I'm told a "min red" won't make legal weight on its own..
Here's the stuff http://m.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16 ... /100003351
Jirou
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 11 Apr 2016
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red/green sword

Re: Pvc filling allowed?

Postby Brutus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 am

Hey man! Good question!

I believe you are certainly allowed to use spray foam inside the PVC. There is certainly no rule against it. However, everyone is going to shout at you "DON'T USE PVC!" and I 98% agree with them.

PVC Pros:
-You can buy it locally
-It's cheap!

PVC Cons:
-Will definitely break quickly (and once your core breaks, nothing can be salvaged from the build)

Everyone will tell you to use something else, and they are probably right, unless: (1) You are just practicing and you literally don't care at all if your sword doesn't last and (2) you have enough money that the loss of materials is meaningless.

But if (2) is true, then you should just buy some cores online. You can use 1/2" solid round fiberglass from Kencove (http://www.kencove.com/fence/Fiberglass+Posts_detail_F12-4SG.php - Note: I recommend using metal in the handles both to make 24oz. and to make it stiffer because 1/2" round will flex out eventually) and I also sell some interesting cores (PowerBeam+, PowerTube.75) that work great for minreds through my online store, Foametheus (http://www.foametheus.com), that you won't need to reinforce and shouldn't need much weighting either.

All of these options are virtually indestructible. This means that when your foam dies (and die it shall) you can strip it off and build a new blade. You'll still have a core, a handle, and a pommel so it saves you much effort. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Jirou » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:07 am

Actually I just happen to have the spare PVC and foam spray and since it's just my first build I am still not sure what I'm doing, I've watched several videos and seen quite a few tutorials but this is essentially a mockup of the weapon I may build in the future with materials currently on hand.
Jirou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 am

The spray foam probably won't add much weight or durability. Great stuff, once set up, will turn to powder when flexed and beat up enough.

What kind of weapon do you want to build? What are the dimensions of your PVC? Is it hot or cold type (e.g., SCH26, SCH40, SCH80)? Is it PVC or CPVC?
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Jirou » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Truthfully I don't know. I want to make a red/green sword that I won't accidentally scrape the ground with (I'm 5" 9')

Its one inch currently 39 inches long but I haven't cut it for size yet. It some leftover that my neighbor had from a yard project he did a last week (he used it to run underground water to his garden) it has no numbers or letters on it.
Jirou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyric » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Red weapons have to be at least 48 inches.

Also, if it's your first weapon and you just want the experience, make it short, like 28-30 inches. At 1 inch PVC, the longer it is the more likely it is to snap.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Jirou » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
If I may explain my situation ( i will likely post this part in another part of athe forum as well). the realm(? am i using this correctly) i have joined is in trouble and does not have the 10(?) member minimum not only did I just join but I've suddenly been put in charge of the group.

I got foam, dap, and tape from an ex-member but nobody had any spare cores (or was willing to part with any of their weapons) , I feel bare handed with a single blue and no shield, I dont currently have th money to buy expensive durable cores if this group can't recover because people are quitting. I just need a weapon that will last a couple practices to see if I can recover the group. If the group looks like it can recover I buy fancy cores, if not, I don't.

Can i over-pad (extended pommel and extra stabby padding) to make minimum red size? like say 39"core + 4"pad + 3"stab tip + 2" pommel or something like that? Or does the core have to be 48"?
Last edited by Jirou on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jirou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyric » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:27 pm

You can try to build it out, but having that much foam without core under it will shear in no time.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Jirou » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Cyric wrote:You can try to build it out, but having that much foam without core under it will shear in no time.

I admit I expect it to if i do that, but like i said it only has to last two maybe three practices (that I don't forsee being too active) to see if i can get people to show up. ( it turns out most of my friends are flakier than sunburnt lepers with eczema)
Jirou
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:54 am

If you are making a red with that much overbuild it probably isn't going to last the 2-3 practices you want it to. It would honestly be lucky to last 2-3 red swings. With most gear you tend to hit in the top 6in. if there is no core in that section you are probably going to be ripping the tip off right away. In the end it is your call, but there is a lot of time put into building gear and I personally wouldn't want to throw that away after a couple of swings.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Black Cat » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:58 am

It doesn't sound like you have anything you want to waste the foam on.

You want fiberglass or bandshop pole for cores. If you can't afford it and must use PVC, you shouldn't really be making a red. 1/2" Schedule 80 rigid electrical conduit works okay for blue swords. I got mine at Home Depot, though I'm not sure if the quality is the same as it was in 2008. If it is, it will stay reasonably durable up to about 28-29" core length. (~32" overall length)
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed