PVC core punch shield?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

PVC core punch shield?

Postby shibari_ropes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:06 pm

There's tons of posts on here saying not to use PVC for a sword core because it might crack or warp under the stresses of combat. Which made me wonder

Is PVC still considered good for a handle on a coreless shield though? It's old tech and a lot of people these days are moving on to fiberglass for a shield handle core. I have a ton of half inch PVC lying around and I'd like to use it.

I'm aware that PVC as a shield handle will pass as long as it was built right, my question is can I expect it to last at least two or three years?

My coreless punch shield is 6 layers of blue camp foam everywhere except the boss. The boss is two layers of blue camp + 3 layers of 4 pound EVA foam (I also made the boss bigger than the hole for my hand so no worries). the dimensions are 2 feet wide and 3 feet long. The pipe is 30 inches, giving 3 inches of padding above and below the ends.

If this is doomed to break eventually -- well I guess I can build a new one with fiberglass rod as a handle instead.
shibari_ropes
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2015
Realm: Obsidian Hollow
Favorite Fighting Styles: Why would I give people hints?

Re: PVC core punch shield?

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 am

As long as it's SCH40 or SCH80, it should fine. I've had a punch with a PVC handle since 2012, and I haven't had any issues with it.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: PVC core punch shield?

Postby Derian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:44 pm

You should be fine. Even if the PVC does snap, you don't need to scrap the whole shield. You can simply glue in a new fiberglass core (or even another PVC one if you want to go that way).
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Foam Smithing