Back Shield size/shape

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Back Shield size/shape

Postby timff8 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Hello all,

I've seen this topic discussed in brief on a lot of threads, but so far I haven't found a thread dedicated just to this so I thought I'd ask.

I fight with a minred, and spending time on Brotherhood of Red I'm seeing a lot of fighters using a back shield to help in particular against S&B, so I thought I'd get myself one finally after refraining for a while.

However, I'm not sure to what dimensions or shape I should construct/purchase one; I've seen a few that are a fw inches wider than the bearer's shoulders and few that are just as wide, and I've seen rectangular designs as well as kite shields.

Just wondering before I work on one I there are any considerations for size/shape that are important to think about, if there is an industry standard, generally things that would be useful to know. I've seen a lot of discussion on standard strap/punch shields but not really for back shields. I tend to fight with a 49" minred for reference.

Thanks,
Guy
timff8
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2014
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: British long ton
Favorite Fighting Styles: small reds and buckler; FloREDtine

Re: Back Shield size/shape

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:15 am

There aren't really any industry standards; it's all about your size. I recommend cutting it so that it will cover the base of your neck without preventing you from lifting your head backwards, wide enough to cover your flanks without preventing your elbows, when at your sides, from moving backwards freely, and long enough to cover the back but won't get bumped up by your leg when kneeling. As far as shape, it's a personal preference. Square with a cutouts on the sides, top, and bottom to allow for good movement without causing the issues mentioned above would probably be the most efficient, but deviate to make it what you're actually going to want to wear.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: Back Shield size/shape

Postby timff8 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:26 am

Square with cut-outs; so like a non-Euclidian rectangle then? I get the idea in either case; thanks very much I think I'm going to do a heater with cut-outs then.
timff8
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2014
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: British long ton
Favorite Fighting Styles: small reds and buckler; FloREDtine

Return to Foam Smithing