Jump strikes, are they effective?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

To jump or not to jump, this is a flying strike question.

Been crotched shouted doing so
15%
yes
51%
no
35%

Total votes : 75

Jump strikes, are they effective?

Postby Manbeast » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:53 am

This is a qustion i have got to ask being a lemur. Does jumping and attacking usally help yall at times.

I want to know your opinions about this.
The lemur king is coming from the darkness.
May your eyes not be on your backs.
Manbeast
Scout
Scout

Postby BigBadger » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:12 am

Usually not unless you are trying to get an up close wrap shot over someone's shield. Even then, If I notice the pattern, I will start shield bashing you high in order to counter it.
Last edited by BigBadger on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Blood Falcons
Dur Demarion
BigBadger
Belegarth Assistant Webmaster

Postby Winfang » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 am

It can help. Mordeth does it alot because he's shorter then alot of fighters. Being above something is pretty helpful.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Kaibashi Shintaro » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:50 am

I've found a good aggressive leaping strike can actually help turn the tides in a close fight. But don't oversue them, otherwise you won't be making babies anytime soon. ;)
Kaibashi Shintaro
Warrior
Warrior

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Palantir30 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:05 pm

Ask any basketball player: Once you leave your feet everything about your momentum and ballistic path is pre-determined.

You're just giving away a 2-3 seconds' glimpse into the future to your opponent as he now knows where you're going to have to be and where you're going to land. A quality opponent will be able to bash you, shield or not, while you're in the air or at least be present and in a superior position when you land. Rare is the occasion where your best option is to leave your feet.
Palantir30
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Thorondor » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:54 pm

I leave my feet sometimes. I'm 6' and getting the extra 6-8" can be a big advantage if someone isn't ready for it. It's also good when jumping over a red swung at my legs. Jump the red and charge in while they are finishing their swing. Have had a couple kills that way.

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby waldo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:02 pm

Or jump sideways after running at somebody. They brace for a bash but instead get sideswiped and you're passed them. Granted, the ability you have to father children will be severely in jeopardy (ask Chavez about the time he full force kicked me) by doing so.
Waldo, you're like the Ford Tempo of the Brotherhood... gotta fix something everytime you go to take it somewhere. -Sojin
waldo
Recruit
Recruit

Postby calebmonkey » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:21 pm

im still sorry about that waldo
yes it can be effective if say your 6'4" and 220lbs. and your running at somone thats yor size or less. and never land on somone cuz you will probly hurt them
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Mercer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:25 pm

Then, of course, we have the "knee meets temple" that I experienced in the golden days of jump-fighting; not fun.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Tyrael » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:48 pm

I've seen some damned-effective jump shots, and I've also seen some * ones, too (the latter were mostly done by yours truly), so it really depends on the situation. Mugen (a local TA fighter), I know, can be * scary when it comes to maneuverability, jumps, etc. I can leap upwards using just one leg, which surprises a lot of red weapon fighters when I've lost a leg. Like I said, it really depends.
Tyrael
Guardsman of House Dregoth
...So, as I pray...
Unlimited Blade Works

Belegarth's resident lazy Rocket Scientist.
Tyrael
Warrior
Warrior

Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Nuclear ****' warheads

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:30 pm

I have a guy who can pull off the jump past and stab you in the back move from Troy. He does it pretty well along with some other jumpy type stuff. I usually catch him in mid air on my shield and throw him off enough to wreck him, but that's me. I'm a rock, baby.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Alric, son of Harland » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Bishop of the Dragonns has a crazy one-legged jump. I've seen him down on one knee and jump 8 feet to hit someone. As long as you don't overuse jumping, it can be an effective situational tactic.

Alric
Ehre vor allem.
Alric, son of Harland
Underling
Underling

Postby Manbeast » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:52 pm

I usaully use jump attacks "jumping period" to knock back sheildsmen, do an upper cut with pole arms, "Be the rock" trown at the castle sheildsmen :D , do a snake like surprise stab while on one leg, etc.
It is as many of you said,"dont overuse" b/c it loses its "surprise factor" and people will expect it more, and it also depends on the situation.

They are not "always" successful.

And last A mid-air crotch shot is pricelees 5-6 feet in air as you slide off the spear..OUCH!!
The lemur king is coming from the darkness.
May your eyes not be on your backs.
Manbeast
Scout
Scout

Postby Kyrax » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:11 pm

Just a note: jumping off of the "good" leg while down on one knee is a chancy tactic. Most people who are trying to do this actually use their "dead" leg somewhat in the launch or to help balance yourself as you come up. I used to do this tactic until it was pointed out to me that I was really using my bad leg to help jump up - and after learning that I discovered that I really couldn't jump as high or far without using the dead leg. So I stopped doing something that in my case was cheating.

That's just my experience - your mileage may vary.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Conn MacCollach » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:00 am

jumping around works best if you've learned how to change trajectory in midair.
War Chief of L?echtuath