Full arm armor

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Full arm armor

Postby Zi'gor » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:15 pm

Ok, I?m going to start working on a new set of armor soon and need some advice. I want to connect a full right arm to the chest piece I?m going to make. If anyone has any good patterns diagrams they would be greatly appreciated.

Random
Trusted Warrior to Spike
Big Papa Oberon
In Marjack's name we pray, Horde Win!
Official Chimney of Khazad Dum
Zi'gor
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:09 pm

What type if armor is the top of the arms? And what type of body armor is it? A picture of both would be INFINATLY helpful in this question.
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Postby kohntre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:42 am

hmmm I truly believe your best option is to make your armour wearable in sections. Avoid the "one"piece, I think you will appreciate the options available of wearing individual pieces as you choose to, and the carry/storage of a One piece armour might a bit clumsy as well as the putting on of such a large and uncumbersome set of armour.
Photos of armour are handy, but remember your armour has to fit you, diagrams of others can be confusing when trying to fit it to you.
kohntre
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Skuz Bludgutter » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:32 pm

Warhawk is quite right. The type of armour makes the biggest difference.
However,,,,,
Plate: Period armours with full sleeves were attached to the cuirass with simple buckled straps or even tied in place at arming points. And if you are making plate sleeves, it IS a good idea to make the pieces so that they are all attached to each other, whether it is with rivets at the pivot points, or floating on restrictor straps. The reason for this is that bracers and elbows can slip down the arm unless you tie them on good and tight, but that can restrict bloodflow to the hands. If the bracer, cop, rebrace, and pauldron(if you have them) are all attached to an arming point at the shoulder, then the bits can only slide down so far, and you can wear them slightly looser.
Flexible coat/ flexible sleeves: Simple. Lace the sleeves to the coat. You can make leather pieces with holes in them that "hem" the edges of chain, and lace through those. They look kinda cool too. Or simply leave room at the top of the brig or scale sleeve for lacing holes. If you want to attach hard sleeves, I would suggest making a plate that sits on your shoulder, with a buckle on it. The top of the sleeve has the buckle tongue attached to it, and they are usually easy to put on and remove by yourself. But thats what shield maidens are for, right? This is how I attached my pauldrons to my scale coat. Take a look at the Armour Gallery page on my website www.hunter-craft.com
The pics are not that close up, but you should be able to see how they attach. The plates of the rebrace/pauldron are not riveted to each other, but float on three straps, one of which extends up and buckles to the armour.
If you are attaching flexible sleeves to a rigid body, it is about the same as with a flexible coat.
And Kohtre brought up another important point, storage and transport. Big issues for those of us who have no squires or servants to carry it for us.
A far as patterns for the actual pieces, there are tons of SCA and similar websites out there where you can download patterns. If you want to make a flexible leather sleeve, just cut apart the sleeve from a sweatshirt. Instant sleeve pattern. Once you have that it is really simple to figure out where to put brig plates, rings, or spots.
I hope you found something useful in my rantings. Feel free to drop me a line here, or through the website if you have specific questions.
Skuz
:goblin:
"Put down those body parts and get back to work!"
www.hunter-craft.com
Skuz Bludgutter
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb