Historical Discusion: Real world Religion and/in Belegarth

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Historical Discusion: Real world Religion and/in Belegarth

Postby Sir Cairbre » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:01 am

Are we Role play Fantasy or Role play Living history,

The answer is both, But I would like to bring a strong discussion out amongst the peoples of Belegarth. Here is the basis and some info on how religion in Rausumea is run.

What do you think is spiritualities place in Belegarth?

Since the inception of the word Rausumea there has always been a fake religion not so secretly making everything run in Rausumea. The elitist group of people who manifest a very comical religion with omnipotent forces, demi gods, and even alter ego villains. Those who actually care to come and see what it is we do understand this cult like group as a bunch of guys who are really playing a really funny joke on those around us and having a good time.
The Fake religion is often referred to as the Church of Droxland, but is more commonly known as the Church of Balsak, pulling the slang name off of the diety that leads the group. The members wear black robes with flames when performing religious functions or fighting on the battlefield together. The official weapon of the church is a Red axe. The point of the matter is there are elaborate storylines that are somewhat shared through our group about this religion and often non-members get a chance to interact to help save the day and keep destruction from taking over the universe, or something like that.
For Rausumeans it is understood that religions like these are good. Much unlike original DnD we do not pull any aspect of religion from the real world other than generic terms such as priest, monk, and abbot. And very much like present AdnD we pull many of our pantheon ideas out of almost nowhere. We enjoy this because we keep rather true to the idea that our religion is fake. Now I will say that all of us have taken it a little too far once or twice, getting upset about some thing or another, but overall the religion has worked out pretty smooth. One of the unfortunate things that has emanated from the group is, other people of our chapter have wanted to emulate our religion as their own. And like any religion the Church of Droxland had unscrupulously destroyed those young religions with extreme prejudice.

Now a little bit about myself.

I consider myself as one of the founding fathers of the ?Church of Droxland? most of the history stems from initiatives that I have lead. About 6 years ago I left it?s leadership to Shub-Felty who has done a valiant effort running the ?cult? like unit to which I still participate. In all honesty I stepped down for a personal reason. As many people know I hold a deep religious conviction in part with the Catholic Faith. I am the guy who gets up Sunday morning at an event and the only thing on my mind is going to morning Mass. In real life I often attend daily services 3 or 4 times a week, and I only always miss Mass for Wednesday practice. I consider myself a Marian catholic, in joint with a dedication to St. Michael, and I am currently poised to be initiated as a 4th degree Knight of Columbus (I get a really cool real sword) this April. I would have to say that I am an extreme in the roster of our sport.

Something I am somewhat against is people portraying real life religions, I in all honesty I play a ?pagan?, but in real life I am a strait lining ?Catholic?. When there is a call for a major battle like, ?Christians Vs. Pagans? Suddenly all the fun of the sport I play goes out the window. I have to be set with the choice of role playing or taking a game into real life. This situation is not cool, and I think in bad taste. I would hope that the pagans would agree. I honestly have to say that I honestly like how many Knights and religious practitioners play a Adnd type character instead of a historical 12th century crusading in Christ?s name Knight. But then I see other people pretending to be Historical Druidic Pagans, Hindu?s, and Christians. I also see many of them blurring the lines of role-playing and moving into the euphony of their real life spiritual search.

What do you think is spiritualities place in Belegarth? In Rausumea real religion is shunned and looked down upon. But also I really only see people putting the drop on the ?Christian? reality. I see other groups the line gets really blurred when it comes to Pagan, Hindu, and other not-nameable religions. For example any Wiccan could go out and practice their religion and actively recruit/convert and I know many of my people might not complain, but if I were to even encourage someone to pray before battle, well lets just say I would not be realm leader. Also I would never encourage real group or public prayer at my events, we are non-profit and religiously neutral, and I understand that.

Once again I pose the question? What do you think is spiritualities place in Belegarth?
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb