garb question

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

garb question

Postby Alren » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:16 pm

alright, ive gathered my garb together and it seems alright for a newbie like myself. but i just thought id double check a few items with you guys.

im hoping to make it to spring wars but its looking about 50/50 now cause i have no spending money plus my car broke down and i have no idea whats wrong with it. but im still trying and hoping. so pray for Alren and if all goes well, youll have your chance to own him. :angel:

anyway, all my garb seems fine (i have 4 shirts and 4 pairs of sweat pants that i modified to look period; and the essenital belts, pouches, glove, yadda yadda ) except:

footwear: i have no money to buy boots now and i should have an ok pair by armageddon, but all i have now are these

would those work for a newb?

and, as a disclaimer, until i can make a new vest and a new cloak, ill look a lot like an aragorn rip off. (i made some aragorn stuff for a special occasion) so please try and not hold that against me :blush:

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...
Alren
Toadie
Toadie

Postby debuenzo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:36 pm

your garb should be fine

you were one of the better looking fighters out there
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Faolan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:27 am

Hey your garb is better than my garb.

Go with it.
I think most people fight in regular shoes any way.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Alren » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:06 pm

thanks for the replies guys. i just thought i should double check my stuff and warn you about the aragorn thing. if all goes well ill seeya all at springwars!
The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...
Alren
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Morwen Steelsheen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:04 pm

That looks better than a lot of what I've seen. I fight in black hiking boots (water proof=heaven), and have never had any problems.

If you want easy to make garb that looks good, try making yourself some simple tunics (adding trim for extra umph), or if you're more adventurous, it's very easy to make yourself a doublet or coathardie pattern with some extra muslin and time (basically make a muslin vest and then pin it the the size/shape of your body, then cut out your nicer fabric, ok, more complicated than that, but not by much). Those [poofy white shirts are also easy to make, fold over your fabric and cut out a square with one edge as the fold, then in the fold cut out a small neck hole and add a slit, next cut out two matching, but seemingly too large rectangles with the long edge on the fold for sleeves, sew up the sides of the square, and ease the sleaves in, add a band of fabric at the wrists and at the collar and viola! (make sure you finish all your edges, and all of that, but it can all be done with machine.

Also as a tip, line your cloak! When it gets cold at night you'll be thankful you did. :)
Morwen Steelsheen
Underling
Underling

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb