Tent "Makeup"

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tent "Makeup"

Postby Teej » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm

Hey,

I'm trying to come up with good covers to make mundane tents look period. Obviously something lightweight, waterproof if possible, while rugged looking. Any suggestions?

Also what material would make a good long-lasting banner and would take paint well?
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Kyrian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:13 am

TeeDge,

I don't really have any ideas on something that could be used to cover a modern tent to look period. I suppose you could use some waterproofed canvas but that gets bulky and difficult to store/transport. Also, I'm not sure if the suspension system for a modern tent could bear the extra weight. At that point, I'd almost recommend looking for a period one such as a yurt or gher:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/articles/yurt/

As far as the banners, here's a tutorial on making dyed silk pennants:

http://www.cs.usu.edu/~watson/artemisiaca/pennanthowto.htm
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Teej » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:53 am

Thanks Kyrian. I know this is not the SCA but I wanted to take the extra step to a period experience, and appreciate the links. A yurt was my next move if I did not find a good canvas to cover the camp with.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:08 am

TeeDge, like Kyrian said, modern tents suck in weight suspension. You ever been drunk in the dark and trip into one? They collapse like a *.

I've actually been thinking about a good way to do this too, and if you don't want to make a full medieval looking/functional/doesn't leak tent, then you can at least get some sturdy wooden poles and canvas and make a bigger sort of "outer layer" tent to give the illusion that you're roughing it.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde

Postby Teej » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 am

Spike:

Yeah, I want it to look like I'm roughing it somewhat. Moreso I want it to look Orc-made. So that's pretty much one in the same. Random bones, beads and warbraids hanging from it. I'm probably going to buy and dye some surplus shelter halves and fix them up to look period for my unit, including myself to sleep in.

I originally had plans to just cover everyone's personal tents, I looked up yurts earlier but only found some cheap vacation houses on the internet, lol. I gave up on searching because the only period tents I found were big money. Thanks again for the link Kyrian.

But the yurt is a great idea. I wanted to make a "Warlodge," for my camp. A sort of pimped out medieval living room for when people don't wanna sleep but wanna relax when they're getting burned out on fighting during longer events.

Equip it with a few comfortable collapsable chairs covered with fur to look period, some books on medieval strategy, Sun Tzu, a barrel with ice and drinks instead of some random cooler, maybe a small table, a non-herbal hookah pipe (Because a lot of my guys have jobs that require constant * tests, me being one of them. Not to mention I don't mind but will not encourage it either.) Pretty much a lounge for Gorewood and our allies, the maintains the "medieval" mood.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:49 am

Well if you come across anything with detailed instructions on how to make a good medieval/fantasy tent that doesn't leak or require a trailer to bring it to events, you let me know.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde

Postby Teej » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:02 am

The instructions listed above seem to be good enough, I've only skimmed through through.

Think a broken down yurt would fit in a 2006 honda Element, anyone? "Yes I have the ultimate camping vehicle, back seats fold up or come completely out. And it has waterproof seats w/ no carpet so I can hose the * out:)"
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Conn MacCollach » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:19 pm

You don't have to use canvas for tents if you don't want to. Go to a fabric store and get unbleached muslin or any cloth that has a thread count of at least 68-72 per inch.

Wash it in boiling water & detergent to shrink it (rinse in cold).

After finishing whatever pattern you use, you can dye the tent (assuming you go the unbleached muslin route) paint insignia, etc. Then waterproof it by soaking it in 1/2 pound alum per 2 gallons hot water, stirring it and working the solution into the seams.

Conceivably, you can save quite a bit of cash going this route instead of buying pretreated tent canvas. Plus it's lighter.
War Chief of L?echtuath