Jewelers, post your wisdom here

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Jewelers, post your wisdom here

Postby Thestlring » Thu May 07, 2009 9:50 pm

As was suggested, here is one location to maybe get a collection of advice from the more experienced jewelers for the different methods of making costume or finer jewelry.
I would like more information on ring making, and I know there has already been a request for necklaces, so how about other items, like brooches, pins and buckles, etc.?
Thank you in advance!
Thestlring of the Jhirad Goshien Shae'en M'taal
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Short spear, long knife, Buckler and Horn Bow; The Aiel way

Re: Jewelers, post your wisdom here

Postby HesinRaca » Fri May 08, 2009 12:50 am

Ok, so the big key here is you're going to be asking questions about how to do hobby-level attempts at a field that is HUGE. I mean, assuming you take metalsmithing in here as well, you're taking about a field that has existed for who the hell knows, maybe even 10,000 years to some level(please someone give me factsoids on this). So, when you ask a question, jsut keep in mind some things will be hard to simplify to a non-professional/hobby budget, and some techniques will require tools you can't avoid.

I will, and probably the other smiths, give you the best advice and options we can. Granted, I'd much rather get the commission and make some money, but I am willing to answer questions regardless.

As for rings. Like I said, look up sand casting, and cuttlefish casting. Lost wax casting can work, if you can drop some money for investment, but you're going to need to do a burnout and it won't work in the oven;) I've heard of people doing it in mortar mix and using a torch to burn out the wax, but I have no proof this is a good plan. If you post a specific project I can suggest help you out, but depending on the design it might be easier to do it for you. Or you can come to Bend OR and I'll run you through it.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Thestlring » Fri May 08, 2009 2:50 am

Since I live in Yakima, that isn't out of the question as a road trip, LOL!
I have access to tools used for polishing stones and some gold working tools, since that was my father's hobby many years ago and he still has it all, and my ultimate goal is a ring to replace my lost one, so any advice for me should be in that direction.
"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Short spear, long knife, Buckler and Horn Bow; The Aiel way

Postby Eris » Fri May 08, 2009 8:34 am

Are you thinking of flying out to IL for OctoberFest? I know the idea of a jewelry class is being talked about, so if you're really interested it'd be good to know... We're trying to determine interest levels in the class.
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Thestlring » Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm

With the surgeries my wife needs to have, not to mention a new born, flying anywhere for a while is pretty much out of the question, but I do have a reason to get to Illinois in the next couple of years, so that might happen!
Thanks, will look into it!
Thestlring
Recruit
Recruit

Postby HesinRaca » Fri May 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Sounds very cool Eris, I'd be interested in what you're teaching, how you're doing it on site, and how it goes! Very cool!
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Eris » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 am

So far the idea is in the proto-planning stages. I know Yas does bead-weaving, but if we could organize something like 3 different types of jewelry making classes to take place over the course of a standard weekend event, that'd rock. So, something like bead-weaving & necklace making on Friday, and maybe sand casting on Saturday? We'd need instructors though. Hesin, you may open your door one day and find yourself chloroformed and shipped to an event. I apologize for any inconvenience in advance... ;)

Or... What does the non-com situation at Chaos look like? I'm going to try and make it out there next year, so we can try a jewelry class there if you think there will be enough non-com interest... I know most fighters won't come off the field for this... Hesin, again, chloroform is gonna be your new best friend... :devil:
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby HesinRaca » Mon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Hah, that's fine with me, I'd love to do some classes.

I don't think there is any big plans in terms of jewelry class (no plans to my knowledge) but due to the awesomeness of the site itself, people are stoked, so there is a lot of non-com activity brewing. If the interest is boosted before next year I'd gladly bring a gas forge and a small anvil and maybe some stuff to teach casting with. I mean, we could have ten people cast one pendant each with cuttlefish in less then 2 hours, and it wouldn't cost more then 20$ in materials. I'd love to do some small blacksmithing demos next year when I am better, so there are definitly options. Any other blacksmiths/bladesmith around? Morwen and I will try and come to an event out there sometime, so that would be fun to do some classes.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby HesinRaca » Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 am

Eris wrote:Pewter also has a relatively low melting point (if memory is serving me correctly...).

I'm really hoping I can swing Chaos... Gah... Need vacation..........

It does, because of the tin. Tin is melting at about 490, pewter is around 300 and can be melted with a candle and a spoon. Difference is pewter once had lead, and now has tin and sometimes silver in it (pewter is such a broad term when it comes to alloy labels), so you're looking at like 30$ for 4 pounds. Tin is about 5 pounds for 8-12 bucks. Granted, if there was enough interest I could buy pewter and we could charge a little more. I need to do a sample though, pewter might not be hot enough to cast into cuttle fish, because the bone really cuts the heat of the metal fast and pewter might not travel far enough. sand casting pewter though, would work fine.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby HesinRaca » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 am

Resurrecting for Chaos Wars.

If anyone of competence that isn't interested just to look awesome/elitist wants to give lessons/demos/seminars in a trade skill that's quick and easy and people can buy materials to follow along with for 5-30$, go to chaos wars thread and post in the Craft Classes thread.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb