Minotaurs

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Minotaurs

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:20 pm

So any of you who've read my post in the intro section know that I play a Minotaur. Well, those of you who didn't, do now. ;)

One of the things I came here for was advice. I'm looking for ideas on how to dress as a Minotaur without making a whole suit of fur. I'll do my best to post up some pics of what I have now asap but can't promise anything today or tomorrow. Being that it's Christmas.

Anyone else here play a Minotaur character?

Thanks for the help guys

--Rham
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2005
Unit: Marauder Mercenary Corp
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword. Nothing else.

Re: Minotaurs

Postby Galya » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:44 am

Um...just as an fyi I severely doubt anyone will have decent advice for about that, seeing as I've never heard of anyone actually trying to pull a minotaur persona off. I found the last time someone asked about that, and here's where the topic begins if you care to read through it:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12240&p=305444&hilit=minotaurs#p305444

Don't mind the stupidity, that's just normal monster/troll behavior. There are a few good points in there about how difficult incorporating things like fur and horns can be.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Spike » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:40 am

It would also immensely be to your benefit to join the forum that contains that thread so you can actually read it.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Old Horse » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:24 am

As much as I love costumes and characterization, a minotaur costume may be a bit overwhelming, at least for a Belegarth battlefield.
You will want as much visibility as you can and wearing a bull's head will only make you the biggest target on the field.

Perhaps you could stylize a helmet and shield with minotaur motifs, and then have an elaborate headdress/mask for those times outside the battlefield.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more elaborate garb and characters on the field, but the truth is that a bull's physiognomy is very different from a human's. The eyes are on the wrong place, the temple and snout are too far apart, etc.
You could make an awesome-looking mask and you'll still end up taking it off after the first 20 mins of battle, mainly because you'll be hot, sweaty and tired of being flanked because you can't see them coming at you.

As for the approach, you don't need a full body suit. The classic mythology minotaur was simply a man with a bull's head, very much like this one:

Regardless of the decision you make, best of luck and hope to meet you in the field in the near future at any of the Belegarth national events.
"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

-The Iron Code of Druss.
Old Horse
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2004
Realm: Umbar
Unit: Black Corsairs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Two-handed sword, Single blue

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:56 am

Awesome, stylized, helmet with integral, detachable (snap off?) mask portion that has a snout (did you ever see the pics of Ender's wolf helm?) and soft (foam, soft leather?) horns (so they'll hopefully pass, most of the time) and a drape of fur backed with something breathable (linen?) like a camail on a normal helm. Then, pump iron til you get HUGE, and wear Greek-ish garb.

Voilà.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Galya » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:49 am

Spike wrote:It would also immensely be to your benefit to join the forum that contains that thread so you can actually read it.

Oops. Sorry, I forgot not everyone can see that forum. Arrakis basically described the best way to do it anyway. Otherwise you might end up looking like a furry or something.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Sir_Mel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:24 pm

I died a little inside because I discovered this thread's existance...
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:58 pm

First reason I said I didn't want a full suit was to avoid looking like a furry. Right now I have a fur tunic and bracers (soon to be replaces with a custom leather armor set) a homemade semi-kilt/warskirt. That's the main part of my garb. I like the idea of a helmet with the foam or maybe latex horns. The helm would probably be a greathelm. Something simple. I'll have to work on that. As for the picture that was posted, that's different. I'm basing my character off of a Minotaur from a series of books inside the Dragonlance series. I'll have to get painted up someday and get into full garb and take some pics for you all. My paint consists of two blue lines vertically over my right eye and a yellow between with a single horizontal blue line coming from the outside of my left eye. I'm trying to bring in a native American sort of look with it, perhaps a lot of you know the Tauren from WoW, that's what I mean, tribal/native. As for a full facemask/snout thing, that's a little too much for me, that goes from most of this looking really rocksome to just plain weird.

The armor I'm getting consists of a pair of bracers, greaves, a chest harness with a large 3-4in diameter iron ring in the center and a belt. The colors are oxblood red and black. Again, I'd put pics up but they're not on this comp. Soon enough...

Tell me what you think
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Hash » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:15 pm

sounds awesome, I think its a really cool idea. Definitely need pics, now I'm thinking of all kinds of creature garb that aren't regularly seen in Bel. The image of an axe weilding minotaur stalking Kegg's castle is pretty gnarly.
if you are the big tree, we are the small axe
Hash
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Teej » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:42 am

From the above to this then?

Still furry...

Probably going to need pics to change opinions... it's not going to be easy to pull off... if you can pull it off and can back it up with good characterization, more power to ya.

^ Only thing I could find that is remotely close to socially acceptable, and you're still going to catch a lot of flak for it; the headpiece (the rest looks like crap) would look retarded on the field IMO; it would probably be awkward as **** to fight in and impair breathing as well (ie: running in a gas mask). Closest thing I could find to a minotaur...
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood

Postby Caleidah » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:15 am

Speaking of Minotaur with a greataxe...
Make your axe to match Otmin's.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:49 pm

In all seriousness, without making fun of you at all..
Make a helmet with horns. Make it cool, with a scary facemask. Very stylized but very bull-like. Then...
NEVER talk about this minotaur thing again. Keep it inside that you want to be a bull man and just make your stuff to reflect it. This is the only way you wont be a total dork.
If you keep your mouth shut and make really cool gear, this could be a cool idea.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:07 pm

There's a recent enough picture. No facepaint or chainmaile on there. That tunic is all the fur I've ever used and I don't plan on using any more. As for a helm with facemask, I'm not gonna make a mask. Like I said, a bucket helm, maybe with horns is as far as I'm planning to go.
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Galya » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 pm

I like what you have so far, but you might want to try Ogres instead if you're not going to full-out on this. They tend to use furs a decent amount as well, and would be a lot simpler to do. If you're dead-set on minotaurs, go for it. But that's another option if it doesn't pan out.
She/Her/Hers

Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Teej » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Your jeans are ruining my medieval experience.

I can't think of a herald who would allow horns unless they were safe -- at that point retardedly bulky and soft/padded.
Last edited by Teej on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Aye. That pic was from a practce so I had jeans on. I agree with the bulky/retarded look. That's why I haven't done it yet.
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby dylangettier » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:39 pm

i'd buy a bull's face from a tannery and maybe the back fur to be like a sort of aztec lookin' hat and a big fur cape, then i'd wear a skirt and sandals......

(you'd have to kinda make the bull's face be able to sit on your head during battle, which i'd be too lazy to find out how to do) i'd say * tha horns,they'd get in the way
Sorok of the Black Blood Clan, worshiper of Yeenoghu

-Ganga
dylangettier
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 29 Jun 2009
Realm: Ganga
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat n' Board, Spear

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm agreeing with TeeDge. The horns are really not that brilliant of an idea, and I'm defiitly NOT going to be wearing a bull head. :cow:
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Outhro Youkker » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:53 pm

I got the skin of a cow head in my freezer if you want to use it.
all you have to do is cut the extra fat off from the inside, and cure it

one catch. I am not mailing a frozen cowhead
"Gobo, what are you cooking?."
"Boot still with foot."
"That is disgusting!"
"Gobo know, me hate feet"
Outhro Youkker
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2007
Realm: Umbar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Ogre's Butter Knife

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:01 pm

I also play a minotaur. It all depends on how into it you want to get. As for me, i start every event by doing brown tone makeup on my face and hands. Then once i get the makeup done i put on my minotaur tunic, its thick brown fur with long sleeves, (meaning i dont have to do my arms with makeup) and my Headdress. The headdress is something i made with a cardboard liner and paper cups covered in foam and fur. The carboard is coated with fur with the exception of the two circles where the white paper cups are attached, those i spraypainted black so they look kind of like horns. I'm never seen at an event without them.

The best part of being a minotaur is that your legs are pretty human, so you can wear regular pants and shoes.

Enjoy your characterization! I know i have!

God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of a long sleeve tunic, only problems I can see are that; 1, it would get extremely hot under there, and 2, at this point, it would be more work for me just to add sleeves. The headdress sounds complicated, do you have pictures you could send me or post up? Like I said, I don't want to go as far as making a full headdress and costume. I jus want to look remotely like a minotaur.
Another thing that I am wondering about now that you mention it, I don't know what the rules on headshots are here, but what happens when you do get a headshot? Then all you work get crumpled up like a paper ball, right?
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Dagganoth I peed a little.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Theros the Large » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Rham Es-Hestos wrote:Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of a long sleeve tunic, only problems I can see are that; 1, it would get extremely hot under there, and 2, at this point, it would be more work for me just to add sleeves. The headdress sounds complicated, do you have pictures you could send me or post up? Like I said, I don't want to go as far as making a full headdress and costume. I jus want to look remotely like a minotaur.
Another thing that I am wondering about now that you mention it, I don't know what the rules on headshots are here, but what happens when you do get a headshot? Then all you work get crumpled up like a paper ball, right?

I would concentrate on learning how to play Belegarth before you try to make some elaborate costuming and whatnot.

I'm just putting that out there.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Rham Es-Hestos » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:25 am

Theros the Large wrote:
I would concentrate on learning how to play Belegarth before you try to make some elaborate costuming and whatnot.

Read my post in New Members. I'm not here to learn belegarth. I'm trying to get tips and opinions.
Rham Es-Hestos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 am

Dagorhir, Belegarth, Tomato, Toe-moht-toe...
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Arrakis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 am

*high-fives Dagganoth*
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Jay HellHammer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:29 am

Rham Es-Hestos wrote:
Theros the Large wrote:

Read my post in New Members. I'm not here to learn belegarth. I'm trying to get tips and opinions.

People have been really nice to you in this thread. Alot. So I will be nice too: we don't read all of the posts in all of the threads. So we don't know your history or your goals. The point Theros was trying to make = become a better fighter in whatever foam fighting world you fight in, skills w/ weapons, weapon building, heralding, rules, etc. Along with this you can be designing your awesome armor but skill on the field > over the top garb.
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Theros the Large » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 am

Rham Es-Hestos wrote:
Theros the Large wrote:

To be honest I don't give a rats * who you are or if your playing Belegarth. Your idea is sad and lame. I hope that you fall out of a window you ignorant douche cougar.

Best of luck with your homosexual minotaur costume.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Derian » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:09 am

Damnit, Theros!
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb