Entertainers?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Entertainers?

Postby Vrohi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Well Ive been to a couple events now for Belegarth and Id say theres one thing that is lacking. Where are all the entertainers like the guys just walking around with guitars and what not singing old jaunty tunes. and People dancing to Irish music. Story tellers spreading tales of battles and grand old times from like real events and what not. I could get into that. I really think there should be more of that!
"For the Honour of the Realm."
"Honor, Valor, Brotherhood"
Vrohi
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: No Affiliation
Favorite Fighting Styles: Javellin, Sword and Board.

Re: Entertainers?

Postby Caleidah » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Then take it onto yourself to spread that sort of thing. Pick up a guitar (or lute, or whatever your choice is) and roam the camps, tell some tales, sing a few songs, have some fun with it.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 am

Getting things started yourself is always the sure fire way to make sure it happens and that it gets done (hopefully) right.

IMO, the best time at an event for something like that is probably after the fighting during feast or after that when everyone is getting toasted by the camp fires. At the bigger events though where hundreds of people show up you can probably get some crowds to appreciate your work since there are more non-fighters present just hanging out and watching.

The wife of one of our guys in ATD is a belly dancer so she and her troupe are going to perform at our event feast. Any sort of medieval skills would work - music, singing/reciting, acrobatics, juggling, dancing. Work with what you have and go from there.

G/L
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Hash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:20 pm

ya, most bigger events have latenight bardic games for this kind of stuff. i do enjoy bards walking around playing guitar during battles, there def needs to be more of that.
if you are the big tree, we are the small axe
Hash
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby No'Vak » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Didn't poo post a video a while back from like Spring Wars of Soth playing...And then maybe arky walking around playing..
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Theros the Large » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Vox wrote:Well Ive been to a couple events now for Belegarth and Id say theres one thing that is lacking. Where are all the entertainers like the guys just walking around with guitars and what not singing old jaunty tunes. and People dancing to Irish music. Story tellers spreading tales of battles and grand old times from like real events and what not. I could get into that. I really think there should be more of that!

That's a quick fire way to get smacked in the gob.

Between the Bardic games, The Red Triangle Circus and the numerous people in my unit tormenting passersby with wooden moustaches I would say that there is plenty of entertainment going around.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby No'Vak » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Don't forget the **** whistles.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Jay HellHammer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:36 am

Noik wrote:Don't forget the **** whistles.

You can't forget, or the Barrel and Pancake Breakfast. We don't just help kids we help make events memorable. We make dreams come true. Sunshine and Rainbows. ;)
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Vrohi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Oh man I do remember the whistles and Moustaches! but I still feel there should be more =P and If I could sing I would totally start it...hmmm maybe I shall find some entertaining talent!
Vrohi
Underling
Underling

Postby Sir_Mel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:17 pm

The reason you don't see more of this is due to the fact that belegrim are a very hyper-critical sort. In an effort to keep every rando-jagoff from playing their off-key version of "KumBaiYah", the crackdown on all "musicians" has been put in place.

Plus, events aren't good for stringed intsturments, period. Everywhere is hot, it's humid a lot, it gets pretty damp and chily at night, and there are many belligerent folks who don't shy away from physical contact.

Basically, find some people who know how to play and sing well that don't mind doin this **** for free, or being heckled A LOT, and then buy them all "campfire" instruments.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Runner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:29 pm

That's something I can get into. I'm only a novice guitar player, but that's nothing practice can't fix up.
"Run away!! Run away!!"- King Arthur
Runner
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 30 May 2008
Realm: Bowling Green
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue,
Sword and Board.

Postby Poo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Noik wrote:Didn't poo post a video a while back from like Spring Wars of Soth playing...And then maybe arky walking around playing..

http://www.facebook.com/ThatsRightMyNam ... 8011247618

He walked around for awhile
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Galya » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 am

Whatever happened to people drumming at events? I haven't seen that in a while.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Poo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 am

I have yet to be at an event where there is not drumming at DA camp or elsewhere....
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:40 am

At CW this last year we had, Belly dancers, Musicians ( a couple drummers and a guitar player), Contact Juggling, Gladiator games, slave auctions, Valas Pub night, Goblin night. There was something going on every night. During the day people want to fight, or relax, no entertain. At night it's a different story.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Vrohi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Chaos Wars sounds like a sort of Heaven lol
Vrohi
Underling
Underling

Postby YAS » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:58 am

Generally entertainment at events tends to happen mostly at night. Usually if it doesn't take place at DA camp, it takes place whereever you find certain members of the DA, or their friends like me, who dance, sing, and play a drum. All you really need to do is keep your ears peeled and be friendly with everyone.

:)
"Well, Krista, you're definitely ready to DRIVE in Chicago."

Eric—aka Beerguarde
YAS
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Derian » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Yarly.

If you're not finding drumming, story telling or outrageous lies, you need to get out of your camp and find some cool kids.

Those events are staples and always happen. Walk around and meet people.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Tobin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Here's an idea for everyone: Prove yourselves right at Springwars!

Bardic games usually don't get terribly high attendance at events--blame it on the weather, if you want, but people don't come to Bardics because they think they'll be boring, so no one comes and you end up with a small Bardic Games with not a lot going on...see? Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm running Bardic at Springwar this year, and I really hate to be bored at my own parties--so I want this to be a good Bardic Games, at the very least. Prove to Vox that he's talking out of his * about entertainers--come up with a good story, a ridiculous song to sing, a series of jokes, whatever, and show off Friday night of Springwar!

I know, I know, you're all worried you're going to be heckled, or at the least, that you're going to expend a lot of effort for a small audience and therefore very little gain. Well, I'm going to fix that. How? By issuing RIDICULOUS amounts of prizes. There will be prizes for pretty much any action that gets you up in front of your fellow event-attendees in an entertaining fashion. There will be prizes for entertaining members of the audience. Hell, I might just throw my hands in the air and give prizes for putting your name down on the sign-up sheet--who knows? Point is, you will not put yourself through potential public humiliation for nothing!

Sign-up will be at Troll, or possibly sooner. You know you'll want to.
Shuvinasti of Kumpania del Ruv
yes, that's right folks, I'm female.
breathe deep. seek peace. swing hard.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2004
Realm: Itenerraria
Unit: Kumpania del Ruv
Favorite Fighting Styles: flail and round
decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby YAS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I remember the last Bardic Games I was in we had a pretty good amount of people crammed into that barn...

I think we'll get a good turn out. People like to be entertained, and they like to entertain themselves.

The heckling was actually Rickets idea for the last one. Normally there really isn't heckling, not that I've heard
"Well, Krista, you're definitely ready to DRIVE in Chicago."

Eric—aka Beerguarde
YAS
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Tobin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 am

I hope you're right, Yas.

Ridiculous amounts of prizes anyways!
Shuvinasti of Kumpania del Ruv
yes, that's right folks, I'm female.
breathe deep. seek peace. swing hard.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2004
Realm: Itenerraria
Unit: Kumpania del Ruv
Favorite Fighting Styles: flail and round
decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby Gámhain » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Most of my experience is with Dagorhir, so please don't take my word as anything but worthless...

It seems to me that -in my experience at least- alot of the people who enjoy a good Irish ditty (and I do mean good... not just some * drunkenly screaming Danny Boy out of key) or an epic tale or whatever, usually party together in the first place, and will all enjoy each others' company, talents, and booze.

There are people out there who will graciously offer you a beer in exchange for a song (once again, provided you don't suck), but many people will just tell you to shut the f*** up. It's been my experience that the people who most appreciate a good song or story are the people who are 1) actually into Irish music/epic poetry or 2) People who are really into characterization and the whole medievalist society or 3) History buffs.

I've had an equal number of both positive and negative responses to my singing and music... but I won't let any amount of heckling or anti-bard sentiments stop me from performing.

In conclusion, if you ever want to hear an Irish ditty, or a bawdy tavern song, come find me. Or you can learn some yourself and try to restore the status of the wandering minstrel.

Also... if you can sing Rocky Road to Dublin without messing up or running out of breath, I will buy you a beer, and proudly declare how much thou dost rocketh.
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 pm

I think that people at events do the things they WANT to do.

If no one is doing these things at events (and I really wouldn't say that.) then it's because they don't want to. They want to get drunk and have a bear blast and not play music or whatever.

Now, the key, if you want MORE of it, is to find out WHY they aren't doing it.

As far as events go, we're really simply NOT a very historical bunch. Jaunty tunes and tale crafting usually amount to bad * drumming and trading drinking stories about various events. That's just how Belegarth rolls. Even Chaos Wars, which had a lot going on, had a lot going on over the course of an entire week. Most events have something going on every night, Chaos Wars had a little more on average, but not that much. I think the key with Chaos Wars was A: synergy. Gladiator pit money pays for Vallas' pub night, and leads to viking funeral, is a great example. and B: a few events during the day for non fighters. The goblin thing was GREAT for kids and was really fun to see!
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:04 am

Had a conversation with Mel, and we noticed some theories on main fire.

1. The smaller the area that main fire is held in, the better the party.

Main fire used to rock at Forest Glen (towards the end, I know there was a pretty suck * period around '04-'05). Melcoarme has a great main fire as well, although that could be chalked up to their "main fire is the only fire policy." But main fire sucks at Stone House. When it's the giant bonfire it burns out in an hour. Then it's just cold. And it's too big to see whose across from it. And when it's on the beach.... I don't know, it still just doesn't work. I really feel like when main fire at Forest Glen was so good it had something to do with it being in a fairly small camp in the back of the park.

2. Where did all the drummers go? I guess Oct'fest was freezing, but I don't remember seeing a lot out last year. And sure enough, the only time I remember seeing them for sure was at DA camp at SW last year.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra