Poloshirt Tunic

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Poloshirt Tunic

Postby Torix » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 am

Im about to make a polo shirt tunic, and i am wondering if it will fray once i cut off the hemmed parts (neck, the ends of the arms, and the bottom). If so, is there a preferred method to prevent this?

Also, should i cut a slit in the front and back, or the sides for mobility/authenticity?

Thanks!
Sir Torix the Lightbringer of Saracor
Knights of the Western Flame
Torix
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 20 Feb 2010
Realm: Saracor and Salamandastron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear

Re: Poloshirt Tunic

Postby Jay HellHammer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:51 am

A polo tunic should be temporary for new garb so if it frays or isn't authentic, don't be concerned. One way to stop fraying is to use bias tape but if you are getting that into it, build a regular tunic.
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Arrakis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 pm

No, it shouldn't fray significantly; the fabric is a knit, like T-shirt material, and doesn't naturally ravel.

How to make a good Polo tunic for your first ever event/first few months of practice:

Buy a Polo from a goodwill or someplace in a natural color and AT LEAST 2 sizes bigger than you normally wear. If you can get bigger, get bigger.
Cut off the collar, the cuffs, and the buttons.
lace the holes at the neck loosely with cord/jute/twine/leather thong/etc.
belt the tunic and blouse it up over the belt a little ways.

Now, wear it to your first event, then get someone to help you sew a real tunic.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Iorek » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 am

Another cheap and easy solution to the tunic is a bedsheet tunic. get a twin sized flat sheet and fold it in half (in what we used to call "hamburger style" when we were kids). Get a loose fitting t-shirt and center it with the neckline on the fold. Add a couple inches to each side of the t-shirt and cut a rectangle out of each side. Your sheet should look like a giant "T". cut a hole for the head in the middle of your fold and then hem or trim up the raw edges of your tunic. the sleeves and bottom should still have the original hem from the sheet.

As a side note I would hem/trim the sleeves first slide the tunic on and mark off where your hip is. then sew the sides together to that point then leave the rest of the sides split, making it easier to get on and off as well as leaving you more room to move.

and Voila! You've made a comfy tunic that was cheap and easy but doesn't have that fresh fighter glow.

P>S> pics for instructions coming soon! (If I ever get off my * and make 'em)
"Marshmallow Peeps: so good their like breaking a man's will, snapping his mind and slurping down his soul."- Cthulhu

"You know if I sit on my hand for five minutes and slap you with it, it feel like someone else do it," - Iorek to goblin.

"Cool, I don't mind people thinking we're orks, I just don't want them thinking we're illiterate"- Iorek to fellow uruk.
Iorek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 13 Jan 2005
Realm: rausumea
Unit: uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb