Linen Wool Combo good in cold?

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Linen Wool Combo good in cold?

Postby Cib » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

So you all have convinced me that the layered Linen and Wool combination is very good for keeping cool in heat, but I was wondering if it has any value in cooled weather, or would it only help me catch hypothermia?
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Re: Linen Wool Combo good in cold?

Postby Æthelric » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Cib wrote:So you all have convinced me that the layered Linen and Wool combination is very good for keeping cool in heat, but I was wondering if it has any value in cooled weather, or would it only help me catch hypothermia?

Before the advent of synthetic fibers, wool was what everybody wore to keep warm in the winter. If you have a thick wool layer on top, especially if combined with a thick wool cloak, you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping warm. The linen won't interfere with the wool keeping you warm at all. You'll definitely need the wool to be thicker (think "sweater" more than "shirt"), so you likely won't want to wear the same outfit for summer fighting as winter fighting (or at least late autumn/early spring), but it should work fine.
Lýtlian seo sprǽc. Ætýcan se níðplega.

Less talk! More fight!
Æthelric
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1996
Realm: Jericho
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword; flourentine

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:40 am

Æthelric wrote:Before the advent of synthetic fibers, wool was what everybody wore to keep warm in the winter. If you have a thick wool layer on top, especially if combined with a thick wool cloak, you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping warm. The linen won't interfere with the wool keeping you warm at all. You'll definitely need the wool to be thicker (think "sweater" more than "shirt"), so you likely won't want to wear the same outfit for summer fighting as winter fighting (or at least late autumn/early spring), but it should work fine.

Ditto. Your linen shirt/tunic is acting more like a modern t-shirt at this point, keeping the wool from scratching up your skin.

If you wear thin wool, you'll have to double, triple, even quadruple the layers like the Romans did in the winter with their tunics

Suetonius wrote:from chapter 82 of The Twelve Emperors: The live of the Caesars regarding Caesar Augustus.

"In the winter, he was protected against the inclemency of the weather by a thick toga, four tunics, a shirt, a flannel stomacher, and swathings upon his legs and thighs."
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby No'Vak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

Worsted wool is for summer.

That other wool is for winter.

Depending on which you get, will determine if its good for winter or not.

This is one time I wish Oisin would reply.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Isk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 am

The wool needs to be thick enough to hold heat and cut the wind. The linen wicks like crazy and if the wind gets to it, you will chill on a hot day. Make sure you have enough layers or thick enough layers to cut wind and the linen can make a comfortable, easily washable, base layer. Silk also makes an awesome base layer that has thermal value of it's own and can be found as cheaply as the linen.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Cib » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am

The reason I ask is I remember someone (Oisin I think) saying how they were shivering in 90 heat with a linen under wool garb set up, and I was wondering if it was only good for heat in that case as I don't want that happening to me on a day that starts warm and gets really cold suddenly.

I know wool is good for cooled, but does linen (or silk) under it have any befit in colder weather or just in heat? Or is it just a way to keep the wool of your skin?
Creativity is Key
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Isk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:09 pm

I haven't worn linen in cold weather, so I can't say for sure what the advantage would be other than wicking any sweat away from your skin. I have worn silk in the cold and love it. Silk is very adaptable from warm to cold and back and is my preferred base layer for cold weather sports.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Arrakis » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Linen doesn't really let the wind through like worsted wool does, in my experience. A winter UA shirt and my linen tunic is good in the cold and toss my 3/4-sleeve wool over that and I'm good down to like 20*F.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby The Bruce » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Isk wrote:I have worn silk in the cold and love it. Silk is very adaptable from warm to cold and back and is my preferred base layer for cold weather sports.

QFT

My silk long johns are thin and weightless as cobwebs but keep me warm in the coldest of cold. Doesn't matter much what's over them, they're GREAT!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
~Frank Sinatra~

The Bruce
Monkey
Monkey

Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mildly drunk.

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 am

In my personal experience, I would recommend wearing something besides linen in the winter. It wicks sweat like crazy and unless you have an extremely warm layer over it, it's just gonna cool you down. Thick wool is bomb though. I slept outside at Frostoberfest with just wool garb and still have all my fingers and toes. Wearing strictly linen on a hot day has left me shivering. Wearing a combination in the sweltering jungle heat of Chaos Wars was sublime.

Abridged version - Thick wool in the winter, linen and wool in the summer.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Cib » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks guys! Thats what I wanted to know. :)
Creativity is Key
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb