Hand Drumming

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Hand Drumming

Postby Saxon » Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm

There is a lot of hand drumming at events. I have not seen any info dedicated to it on the boards, so here is a rough guide for people that want to learn more about it. I will write the guide with hand drums in mind, although a some of the principals can carry over to other instruments. I will do it in three sections: instruments, tones, and timing.

Instruments

There are more names for hand drums in the world than there are fighters in our sport. That being said, there are some commonly used names that cover most of what is readily available to people online and in stores in the US.

The Djembe: A larger drum, originated in West Africa. They are usually carved out of wood and have a rope tightened skin head. These are great drums to learn on as they have a larger head and therefore make it easier for the player to get proper tones out of.
Djembe on Lark In The Morning

The Doumbek: A smaller drum, sometimes called a darbuka, originated in what is now Turkey. These days, they are a metal frame with a plastic head. This is the drum most commonly associated with belly dance. It does have a smaller head than the djembe, so can be a bit tougher to get pure bass tones out of, but no hand drum is necessarily hard to play. These also have amazing high notes.
Doumbek on Musician's Friend

The Conga: This is a tall slender hand drum that originated from Central Africa, later perfected in Cuba. They are often played in pairs, but sound fine by themselves as well. These drums have a cleaner sound than the first two and are used more as accompaniment as a result. They don't have as awesome of a lower register as the djembe, but embellishment sounds good on them thanks to how clean they are.
Conga on Musician's Friend

The Bongo: Always played as a pair, these are very small hand drums that experts believe originated in hippie basements. They really aren't great for drum circles at events, but they are a good addition if you already have a lot of big drums. Oh, and they actually came from Cuba.
Bongos on Musician's Friend

Other Auxiliary Percussion: Claves, Castanets, Bells, Shakers, etc. There are myriad other little instruments that are a blast to add to drum circles, and the best part is, there are always super cheap versions, or DIY versions. My current favorite is my new Wah Wah Tube from Meinl. Point is, there are lots of options, go into a shop and play with stuff.

Tones

There are three main sounds you can get out of hand drums. If you learn from a traditional African drummer, they will call them Du (pronounced doo), Dun (doon), and Ta (like "thanks" in Australia). Du (or Gu) is the near-flat-palmed, fingers together hit to the center (or just off center) of the drum for a loud bass sound. Dun (or Gun) is also called the tone sound, or vocal sound, and is a hit near the edge, still with the fingers together. Ta (or Pa) is the slap to the edge, with the fingers apart, to produce a very high pitched slap sound.
Demonstration

Timing
This video is a fairly good example of what you should be trying to do when you count. Basically, a lot of what gets played in drum circles is slow. Our brains have a hard time keeping a beat slower than about 60bpm, so what you need to do is subdivide. Instead of thinking "1 2 3 4" in your head, think "1and2and3and4". If you keep a subdivided count going in your head, you can hit a note on beat 1 only, then hit beat 1 again perfectly in time 2 bars later because in your head, the beat never stopped. Watch the video, hopefully what I said and what he says makes some sense.

Thats basically it. I wanted to have a section on rhythms, but it is hard to convey in text, and I can't find good videos. Two things to keep in mind when playing in a group though.
1: Not everyone can solo at the same time. Triple forte flam taps sound cool, but not when six different people are trying to do them at the same time. When you start a drum circle, have one person lay down a very simple pattern to start from using the bass and tone. Once everyone is in, try going around the circle to solo, or try having some people play the bass part, some play the high part. Play around with it, but make sure that bass pattern is always there as a foundation, otherwise its not drumming, its racket.
2: Dynamics. This is a fancy music word for how loud you are. Do not try to kill the drum. Play to blend with the rest of the group. Getting loud in a solo or for small embellishments is fine, but if everyone competes to be the loudest the whole time, it is again just a racket, and afterward your hands hurt like a *.

So there ya have it. I hope it is some help to people.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Peace
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, * - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Saxon
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2004
Realm: Whatever Portland is called this year
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board or beer and drum.

Re: Hand Drumming

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks for the information and the links.

Derian, is this worthy of a sticky as a tut?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Adison » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:49 am

At least in the south east portion of Belegarth, we have a very talented group of hand drummers. A few music majors, and a good number of band members. Most importantly (and for drum circles in general) is the group dynamic we usually play with. So, a few tips:

1) Dont Overplay: In dynamics and rhythms, overplaying is going to do some damage to a drum circle. If you can solo, by all means: do. If you over-extend your abilities and completely mess up the groove, well... dont do that. A good solo doesnt need ten-thousand notes: just play a cool rhythm on top of of whats going on. As far as dynamics go, its no fun for the little guy if you are drowning him out all the time

2) Drum Circle Mentality: When you drum at events, it is seldom you play alone (at least for a long period). Keep your fellow players in mind, and try and build your beats up using everyone available. The lower-toned drums generally set the beat, with higher-toned drums providing fill and the off and inner beats. If you are playing a djembe that can shake the nails out of a wall, hold the beat and let the more piercing drums go crazy. From what ive seen, you can easily just ask to switch drums at some point, and get your chance to go off.

3) DYNAMICS: This one I see the most trouble with at a Belegarth drum circle. Using a variety of force on your drum adds contrast to a jam, and lets you play the same beat longer without growing stale. You dont always have to play as loud as possible. Try playing soft as you can sometimes. Better yet: see if the entire circle can rise and fall in dynamic throughout the jam.

4)Take charge: As with pretty much every group ever, things tend to work better with people leading things. Dont be afraid to step up during a circle and try and teach people a quick and easy groove. Also, it really boosts circle morale when someone comminucates with the performers. I personally like going around at some point every jam and allowing each player to solo, making sure the rest quiet down so the soloist can be heard. Also, it adds alot when we stop a groove together (One, Two, Ready, And, DONE!). Even if you arent comfortable jumping into the lead spot, any sort of communication goes yards.
Consider Gold. How is a metal that serves no true purpose the cause of so much strife?
Adison
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Ravens Feast
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Unarmed

Postby Spike » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 am

I cannot emphasize this enough, Belegarth:

If you can, do. If you can't, don't.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Here's something useful: I hope he chokes on a turkey bone.

Derian, can these posts be deleted please?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Caleidah » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:Here's something useful: I hope he chokes on a turkey bone.

Seconded. There's some good info in here.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Adison » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:48 am

Focus boys, focus.

Adisons pearls of wisdom part 2:

1) FOCUS: Make sure to keep your head in the game at all times. Think about the music you are playin. This is a hard one, especially for them long jams, but a little concentration keeps you from slipping, and you will probably play better too.

2) The spirits will get ya: When you are playing at a drum circle, you will usually get offered plenty to drink. Enjoy yourself, but if ya get a bit to schmamered, it might be time to back out. You lose alot of rhytmic clarity with each drink, and eventually even the heartiest of livers will fail and you demolish the circle.

3) Contemporary meets modern: People love to hear songs they know. If you and your guitarist buddy can play Mary Janes last dance, go for it. People love that, but dont play it like tom petty. A good drum circle (even with a few guitars) is not a rock band. Sing slipknot while playing Keko Abe.

4) Promote circle mentality: As i said before, we are all in this together. Talk with the other people you play with and get to know them. Wont work on the first time ya jam, but knowing thy partner means you can think a bit more like him/her, and thinking alike is one of the best tactics you can use. Got an entire household that will back me on that one.
Consider Gold. How is a metal that serves no true purpose the cause of so much strife?
Adison
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Galya » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:20 am

Caleidah wrote:
Tiberius Claudius wrote:Here's something useful: I hope he chokes on a turkey bone.

Seconded. There's some good info in here.

Done. I deleted everything after Siggy rezzed the thread up until the requests, just as proof they were posted.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Siggard » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 pm

thx for bein a bich :finger:
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 2010
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' board

Postby Spike » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:37 pm

Child, I have lost my patience for you.

SHUT THE **** UP WHILE GROWN FOLKS IS TALKIN.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Djoosah! » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:23 am

Siggard HallBjorn wrote:thx for bein a bich :finger:

You sir are terrible at everything.
Djoosah!
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1986
Realm: VBPLAYHOUSE
Unit: DeathViperRattlesnakeStormTrooperJusticeSquad20X6
Favorite Fighting Styles: Giant Mercwagon. MurderDeathKill baton.

Postby Caleidah » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:39 am

Djoosah! wrote:
Siggard HallBjorn wrote:thx for bein a bich :finger:

You sir are terrible at everything.

Hit return in the middle of your "unit" or something. Its stretching the box.

Siggard, grow up. You posted off topic stuff in a thread that is full of very helpful content. That is alright in the General Mayhem. It is even expected. However, in other boards, it is generally expected that people are a bit more grown up about themselves and act like *gasp* adults. I know the concept might seem hard for you now, but it gets easier. I suggest you stop posting for a few months and just read so that people don't see you as a misbehaving child and instead as someone that can actually learn and be a decent part of the boards.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Djoosah! » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:02 am

Caleidah wrote:Hit return in the middle of your "unit" or something. Its stretching the box.

I'm sorry if my unit stretched your box.

Anyways, hand drums are awesome. And so are drummers. Remember that these people are performing for you and you should treat them as such. Thank them with raucous applause and many many drinks. A drummer's throat should ne'er be dry.
Djoosah!
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1986
Realm: VBPLAYHOUSE
Unit: DeathViperRattlesnakeStormTrooperJusticeSquad20X6
Favorite Fighting Styles: Giant Mercwagon. MurderDeathKill baton.

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Spike wrote:If you can, do. If you can't, don't.

Juicer, your unit's so big it's stretching my box as well. :oface:
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Juicer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 pm

He's not Juicer, I'm Juicer! But I bet my unit could stretch your box too.
Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Well, that's just stupid then.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Juicer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:02 pm

You're face is stupid...

Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:10 pm

-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Juicer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 pm

...Why does that dinosaur have butt-wings?

Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Adison » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 am

Cmon people, me and saxon cant be the only two takin this seriously. Lets get some other people providing pertinent pointers. Less talk (particularly trolls and butt-winged dragons), more rokk! If ya wanna see more quality drum circles at your event, give us musicians some good feedback. Remember: The fans make the band....
Adison
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Siggard » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:19 pm

adison, i like you, your allright, your not like those gay-hippo pussies who talk **** about every noob post....thanks for the backup :D
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 2010
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' board

Postby Rasheab » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Siggard, he wasn't backing you up.

Second, knock it off. If you want to cuss like you just watched a Vietnam era movie, take it to General Mayhem.
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 pm

My enjoyment of hand drumming circles --playing and listening-- is proportional to how long the drummers can avoid playing the same beginner's baladi rhythm that I've heard countless times at 100bpm. If that's all you know and you're good at it, that's cool. You've got to start somewhere. Listen to what other people play, steal what you like and make it your own.

Mix up dynamics (loud and quiet). Tempo (how fast you play). Time signature's if you're frisky (how many beats per phrase there are). A lot of beginner and intermediate hand drummers are afraid of repetition and silence; don't be. In the future, I'd like to hear a greater variety of percussion instruments, and other instruments in general.

Above all else, play cool ****. And dancers are pretty much mandatory.
Last edited by The Great Gigsby on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Ignatius » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Love drum circles, love dancing, suck at playing drums but I sure as hell appreciate those of you who can!

Siggard, we all appreciate that you are new and excited. Do us all a favor though and stop posting for a while, totally stop, and just read the boards. Remember:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

I'm not raggin on you, just giving some friendly advice since you're newish.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:02 pm

I love improvised instruments. I've gotten decently good at playing a hubcap and a propane tank this year.

Here's a nice little article a drummer friend of mine wrote up.

><Performance anxiety is common, so practice when no one's around. On your knees, desk, doesn't matter. This is your journey with one of the most ancient and intuitive process there is; I don't say that lightly either. This can be very beneficial, or you can let yourself riddle the experience with self doubt and self-fulfilling prophesies of failure. Remember that just two beats repeated, and repeated, can save an eccentric circle filled with skilled people being a little ambitious for their sake.

><Percussion is actually more about disengaging the mind... C'mon, you know the brain gets enough time to boss everything else around, it's time to tell it to be quiet, let the rest of you speak. nod yer head. Trust me, nod your head, maybe let yourself sway or rock a bit. If you dance while playing, and remember to laugh at how silly and wonderful it is, (even when you mess up). Your body is a metronome, and it likes to rock (in fact we define a dead body by the loss of it's beat).

><Sometimes, the beat seems too simple, and in waiting for certain parts, we over think the timing, then mess it up. If you ever find your mind trying to chatter when you're drumming, and you're having a hard time disengaging the brain, listen and reflect upon everyone's sounds, and understand that you are always playing with a spirit; your spirit! If you choose to not judge others or yourself for any mistakes, you will find yourself that much further on your path. your hands will be free. go ahead, try it.

><If you're having difficulty starting again, disengage the brain, (that means smile, don't worry), and just let your hands go [right, left, right, left], to the same speed your head is nodding. That's four beats in a measure right? Just keep doing it, and what you'll see is that without you thinking about it at all, it will get less regular, and one of those beats will start getting closer to another one, leaving kind of a gap. -perhaps one of em will get louder and more pronounced. let yourself feel what that is doing, let it take over, play with that feeling.

><Sometimes, people find themselves caught up on the same beats. Doing something different just seems impossible as the hands may fall right back into that -or those- rhythms. What I have learned: great! your deeper parts are telling you it's time to mix up some old favorites.
-------If you're in a group: maybe you should mix your rhythms? Maybe add some heavy bass. what about the cowbell? (it can sound SO good!) perhaps try to learn what another is playing, or just play something high pitched in their gaps.
--------If you're alone: I highly recommend playing the beat your stuck on faster. Also, all the group stuff minus the cowbell, (unless, or course, you want to). maybe it's time to try 3/4 timing, training your ambidexterity, (no dominant hand). Also, even humming or singing quietly in your head, chanting especially, can do things I cannot easily begin to explain!
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Adison » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Great points Giggles, though some of the harder ones to pull off. i would go as far as to say if you can put your performance in front of your mind, you have a serious talent. Fear is indeed the mind killer (you cant play drums while scared, muscles dont respond right) from playing something new or just jumping back in after a big ol mess up. And your third point made me cry tears of happiness.

Keep it up everyone, we are getting some good info out there.

Does anyone have any more good instructional hand drumming links?
Adison
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Adison » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:04 pm

And a bit more on the tools we use:

Bourgabou: An African hand drum originating around Ethiopia and sperading towards Egypt (and slightly more East). This is actually two drums tied together. The lower (the Bourg) is made for holding the bass rhythm, while the higher (the bou) is made to play counter rhythm and for soloing. A good instrument for the intermediate-advanced drummer who wants to ensure a beat is held down but wants to solo some as well. The name comes from the two parts of a hide that the heads of the two drums are made from.

Darbuka: Sorry to argue ya saxon, but darbukas are very differet from the description you gave from doumbeks. The darbuka is a generally Egyptian instrument (Check out Nubian handdrummers for the best showing), set apart from a doumbek by using a mechanical system (screws, ratchets, pins, etc) to fasten the head. This is the main difference, as Doumbeks generally have a similar high tone, but are fastened with various forms of ties.

Tabla: Another good two part drum, though with this one parts are usally sold seperately. The larger, the bayan, is once again used to hold a nice bass rhythm (and man is it deep), while the dayan (smaller) is the melody. The best example i know of is "Tones for Elvin Jones" From the crossroads music festival. Sadly, the technique to properly play these two varies greatly from most african drums, and i do not know enough toproperly explain the differences.
Adison
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Juggernaut » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:34 am

Has anyone seen any other instruments that compliment the drums at events? I was thinking about tin whistles or pan flutes. I figure since everyone is drumming, I might as well bring something else along.

I figure the more music at night time events, the more dancing females there will be. This is truly a noble cause for all.
I'm the Juggernaut, *.
Juggernaut
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Armored Penguins
Unit: Western Dunedain

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Tambourines are probably the most common. Depending on who's joining in, you could get various types of flutes, pan pipes, or even strings; guitar being the most common.

I'd like to see a period orchestra / chamber music ensemble get put together, honestly.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Caleidah » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I'd like to see a period orchestra / chamber music ensemble get put together, honestly.

I'd like to work with you on that. In the process of hunting down a few things, including a basic horn and an ocarina.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Juggernaut » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

I was looking at videos of digeridoos, but they have such an overpowering sound. The low bass tones are really soothing, though.
I'm the Juggernaut, *.
Juggernaut
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Armored Penguins
Unit: Western Dunedain

Postby Black Cat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:29 am

Caleidah wrote:In the process of hunting down a few things, including a basic horn and an ocarina.

I found these sites and bookmarked them a year or so ago when I was looking up Legend of Zelda related stuff.

http://www.stlocarina.com/index.html

http://www.songbirdocarina.com/

If you get one, please let me know where you got it from and how good it is.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Salamander » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 am

Is there anyway to help sooth a pair of sore hands after banging on a drum for half the night? Or is it one of those 'patience, young grasshopper, only time will help' kind of things?

One of the things I found that helped me get over my stage fright was to be given one of the deep toned bass drums. I was given the beat, and told to keep it. It made it a lot easier, having a simple beat to play. Once I got more comfortable, I could work on moving to more complicated rhythms and such.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Caleidah wrote:
Tiberius Claudius wrote:I'd like to see a period orchestra / chamber music ensemble get put together, honestly.

I'd like to work with you on that. In the process of hunting down a few things, including a basic horn and an ocarina.

http://www.songbirdocarina.com/sweet-po ... gory_id=12

Merry Christmas.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:19 am

Juggernaut wrote:I was looking at videos of digeridoos, but they have such an overpowering sound. The low bass tones are really soothing, though.

I've played one during drum circles at events several times. I can't play as loud as people drum, so people right next to me can't hear me. And then the drunk people don't realize it's a musical instrument...

Generally, I would argue that higher pitched instruments would be the better complement (pipes, flutes, etc).
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Magpie, I think it depends on the size of the drum circle. I love hearing digeridoo.

Salamander wrote:Is there anyway to help sooth a pair of sore hands after banging on a drum for half the night? Or is it one of those 'patience, young grasshopper, only time will help' kind of things?
My only advice is to massage your hands before during and after playing, making sure that you're getting enough blood flow. And try not to hold to much tension in your arms and hands as you play.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb