Garb Making Process

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Garb Making Process

Postby Vak » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:33 am

I was curious of people process for making garb. I figure this could help the aspiring garb artisan who wants to do more but is unsure. I'm no expert but I've asked a lot of people and I've taken a few fashion design classes which have really helped me.

1. Inspiration Images

I really like to skim through magazines and movies that i like for inspiration. For Belegarth I use a lot of manga to inspire me. I go to borders flip through a bunch until I see something I like. Then I buy the book and use it as an inspiration image.
Note: I am not copying the design, just using something from it I like. Like the way the garment is cut or the use of lines and color.

2. Sketches
Next step I grab a croquis and then start sketching ideas. I will generally go through about 10 or 12 sketches in black and white before i find 2 or 3 that I really like. Then I re-sketch and color until i really find what I like. If you are good with computers scan it into Photoshop and color there.

2.1 Pattern
If you are comfortable doing patterns this is the point to make a pattern for your stuff. I haven't taken that class yet and patterns are pretty hard for me so I skip this step when doing things from scratch.

3. Fabric Shop
Now to hit up the fabric shop. I am terrible at this and if you are like me grab a buddy and have them come with you. Show them the colored sketch and boom you have a 2nd pair of eyes to help you find awesome fabric. Don't try and do it all in one trip if you are really invested in the project. Get some fabric swatches and take them home, redo the sketch with the new color or pattern of the fabric to see if you like it or not. Trip two do all your buying.
Note: More is always better its easier to trim than it is to add.

4. Start drawing or cutting.

If you have a pattern already lay your fabric out and start your project. If you don't have a pattern, use clothing that you already have as a guide, chalk or a pencil will work fine since both can wipe away if you make mistakes. Once you have everything drawn cut out and pin it all together to make sure things fit correctly, and that sleeves and pant legs aren't too short or too long.

5. Sew it together.
Sew it up. Simple enough.

6. Look Stylish.

That's my process. Whats yours?
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Re: Garb Making Process

Postby Gámhain » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Since my persona is of the Legendary/Mythological type, I am trying to build a kit that is -weapons, armor and shield included- historically accurate for the time-period that my persona would be from.

So, for research, I look at historical drawings and artwork for inspiration. I also ask Oisin of the Fianna for advice, on occasion.

After I know what I want to do for my garb (current project being a nettle-fiber linen léine with a flax over-tunic, braided cloth belt, woolen brat (cloak) and cloth shoes), I get all my measurements, buy the fabrics, and start cutting and sewing.
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb