Non garb clan

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Non garb clan

Postby Mynok » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Our group doesnt use traditional garb per say we wear green vest and headbands but we wear normal street clothes under our garb would that be ok at events???
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Oct 2002
Realm: Mid realm
Unit: Cog fighters
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bushido, china broadsword, naginata

Re: Non garb clan

Postby Thorondor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:36 pm

By normal street clothes I'm guessing you mean jeans and t-shirts. In that case, this part of the BoW would be in effect and it'd be a no-go probably...

BOW wrote:1.3 Forbidden items:

1.3.1 T-shirts that are brightly colored, white, with visible logos, with visible collars, and or visible pockets.
1.3.2 Camouflage or military issued cargo pants.
1.3.3 Modern jeans of any color.
1.3.4 Modern hats.
1.3.5 Any fabrics with modern prints.
1.3.6 Any realistic weapons.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Sir Guts » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 pm

If the street clothes aren't visible then yes that'd be okay, but incredibly hot. seriously just get yourself a tunic and some hakamas, and your set. lot more comfortable and no one will kick you off the field for lack of garb.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby The Great Gigsby » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:53 am

Why do you all wear green vests and headbands over street clothes?

No. This is not okay at events. Since when is a vest and a headband even remotely garb?
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Teej » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:03 am

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it at practices; if the fighter is new and checking out their first event -- I'd tolerate it as long as they weren't jerks, but even a new fighter should strive to meet bare minimum standards as they're laid out in the BoW; if I knew the fighter was a veteran dressed like that at an event... I'd consider sending them home after finding out what's up first. For all I know... their house could have burned down a couple days ago -- though, why would they be at an event in that case -- chances are they'd be going home. Douche move, but the real douche move is forcing event staff to take such steps.

As far as making this a standard uniform... I think it's lazy and a blunt non-compliance with the rules of the organization.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 am

No, what you are describing is not garb at all. It is a unifirm for the club you are in.
Do not listen to Guts, he's is wrong.
If you show up at an event wearing a green vest over street cloths you will not get on the field. If you do somehow get on the filed, you will be removed by the Garb Police.
We have garb rules. They are NOT a sugestion. Bluejeans, cargo pants, printed T-shirts are not legal to wear on our field.
People are allowed to do NEARLY anything with their appearance in Belegarth. But being a "non garb" group is not an option.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Fangesta » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

seeing regular street clothes, especially at events turns my stomach.

Even seeing jeans under hakumas is just plain LAZY...the hakumas are not tied properly.

It's not hard nor expensive to make good decent garb. For $6 you can buy 2 twin size sheets at walmart and that gives you enough material to completely garb yourself from head to toe. If you can't sew...learn. It's not that hard and is a valuable life lesson to know. I've taught the boys in my realm to sew.

:pirate:
Say it...Say it....HARRRRR
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: Highest bidder--PIRATE
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
Florentine
Short sword

Postby Teej » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:18 pm

My discontent with non-garbers aside.

Some constructive criticism for you...

I actually do not like wearing garb, I will not go out to eat in it, I will not go pick up event supplies at the store in it. I just don't want to look like a fool. I dress well in real life and try to carry myself in a clean cut manner. However, when in Rome, do as the Romans do... I won't wear mundane clothes at Bel stuff, I won't wear Bel clothes somewhere else. I feel about as out of place as someone wearing Jeans to a traditional wedding should feel.

If you take nothing else from this... when you're in street clothes whopping on each other with pillow sticks, you really just look like some bored jackass teenagers. When you're in garb, it's obvious you're part of an organization (key word: organized). It helps for recruitment; you don't get the cops called on you by as many neighborhood busybodies... etc.

Who would you feel more comfortable talking to?

Some punk kid who looks like they're up to no good? I mean, for all you know they could be a complete * to you...

OR

Someone wearing medieval clothing obviously participating in some simulated combat? Likely involved in some organizational activity.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Tiercel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Teej wrote: <The best explanation I've yet seen about this subject. >

People follow rules that make sense to them, and tend to filch on ones that don't. Good job for giving me something I can point people to.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Plus, the better your garb is, the higher people rate your skill without having ever actually fought you. When I go to random events where no one knows me in really nice garb and with applique shield covers and ****, people are like Oooh *, that dude must be a killa! (as opposed to events were people know I'm only pretty good).

Looking cool in good garb makes people want to talk to you and makes people instantly think you're cooler than you are. Wear it.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 pm

This would be great if it also knocked down ego and made people take your hits. But wear nice garb anyway...
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Mynok » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 pm

thanks guys will kung fu uniforms work then ? we are not really a larp group more than we are a kick the **** out of each other group its kinda crazy and fun but yeah we are all ex tuchux so we all have armor and kung fu uniforms.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Todo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Arrakis wrote:Plus, the better your garb is, the higher people rate your skill without having ever actually fought you. When I go to random events where no one knows me in really nice garb and with applique shield covers and ****, people are like Oooh *, that dude must be a killa! (as opposed to events were people know I'm only pretty good).

Looking cool in good garb makes people want to talk to you and makes people instantly think you're cooler than you are. Wear it.

The inverse is also true. When I go to events, people think I'm a **** scrub.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Arrakis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Mynok wrote:thanks guys will kung fu uniforms work then ? we are not really a larp group more than we are a kick the **** out of each other group its kinda crazy and fun but yeah we are all ex tuchux so we all have armor and kung fu uniforms.

No, if you mean modern kung fu tournament clothes.

If you're ex-Tuchux (why ex?), you should have a rabbit fur loincloth or leather skirt or some other crazy barbarian **** or something that should work. I was unaware that the Tuchux were now using kung fu uniforms... Oh, and a lot of your armor will probably fail.

Look, do you wanna play Belegarth or not? To play, you NEED GARB. It's in The Rules.
Arrakis

Postby Thorondor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Mynok wrote:thanks guys will kung fu uniforms work then ? we are not really a larp group more than we are a kick the **** out of each other group its kinda crazy and fun but yeah we are all ex tuchux so we all have armor and kung fu uniforms.

Neutral sweat pants, matching shirt with no logos, black/brown boots, mid-thigh/knee length tabard made out of a bed sheet. There ya go, garb that'll cost all of $10 :) Modern kung fu stuff will fail (like Arrakis said) and your armor is highly unlikely to meet our armor standards (also like Arrakis said)

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby No'Vak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:07 pm

It does boil down to what was said before...do you want to play Bel?

Of course, there isn't a law that says you have to. :) If you guys want to do whatever you want in the park with our rules system and weapons styles, you can. That is the beauty of it. The plus side of doing whatever you want is that you get to do whatever you want. The plus side of playing Bel is you get a cool community of people, large events, and groups that are just like you all over the country.

Another thing is to go 1/2 way. Do things your way where you are and do things the Bel way when you go to other people's events. I think once you go to some Bel events, the coolness of doing it the Bel way will be obvious, but until then, I hope you have safe fun doing whatever you are doing. Thanks for your interest.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:05 pm

The Tuchux are a highly respected group among many of us. We follow their exploits with great interest. If I lived in the East, I would hang with them at SCA stuff.
Why "ex-tuchux"?
Knowing that you were fighting with them tells us you were fighting by modified SCA heavy combat rules, this is why your armor will likely fail. Most SCA armor not good to use foam weapons on. Not all, But more than you would think.
Depending on the color of you're kung fu uni's, they may be ok.
All you really need is:
1)Sweats, scrubs, probly you're kung fu pants(preferably with no elastic at the ankle) that are either black, brown, grey, ect.
2)a tabbard. 2'x6'(longer for tall guys and fatties) rectangle of good fabric of you groups color with a hole for you're head in the middle.
3)a sash to tie said tabbard down to yo *. I make my sashes from 12"x 9' peice of broad cloth. Contrasting color to the tabbard..
4) black or brown shoes. White shoe look gay. I wear combat boots, I think everyone should. You can go barefoot if you're brave(or dumb).
This stuff is really cheap and will definetly meet the minimum requirements on any foam fighting field you go to. Starting with this type of garb as a group can be the begining of a really cool look as people add thing to thier personal gear while maintaining the same uniform base.
You guys are going to love Belegarth. I think it's more fun than SCA, but then I hate wearing that **** steel helmet.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fangesta » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 pm

also...please please please please please do NOT mistake us with Role Models

Very few Bel events you see larping. Yes we have our races and a backstory, but for the gist of it, that's it. we don't run around with sorcerers and no if you kill the king you won't become the new king.

:pirate:
Say it...Say it....HARRRRR
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: Highest bidder--PIRATE
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
Florentine
Short sword

Postby Mynok » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Fork beard thanks man yeah we all have black uniforms with the white cuffs and collar too bad they have the elastic around the legs( * it) yeah those steel helms totally blow we are ex tuchux fighters because we had a difference in opinion and instead of infighting we decided to break off from the main group.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 am

Sometime it's best for the group if people who want to go a different way just do it. You guys are very welcome here.
Elastic at the cuffs ins't against the rules, it just looks bad. It's a fine place to start.
You guys are gonna love Bel.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Karyx » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 am

Forkbeard wrote:...Elastic at the cuffs isn't against the rules, it just looks bad. It's a fine place to start.
You guys are gonna love Bel.
FB

may i suggest; some brands let the elastic float in the hem, and only attatch the ends at the leg seam. if that's the case, you could pull out the band, and thread a leather or cloth strap through the hem, and lace it up your shin like a boot wrap.
Karyx

My family? Its kinda like the Mafia. Once you're in, there's really only one way out.

Jonkah wrote:... just remember the golden rule of noobs: if you have something to say, raise your hand and put it over your mouth!
Karyx
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Beornve
Favorite Fighting Styles: oooo... BARLEY-TECH!! O_o

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:45 am

Learn it. Use it.

Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:57 pm

It really is that easy too!
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Mynok » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Well if kung fu uniforms are o.k. we will just wear those but what about shoes we wear Feiyue's for footwear its a kungfu shoe but im not sure if those would work on a field since they are meant for arena style combat in a gym what would you guys recommend ???? maybe soccer cleats or something like that.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Mynok wrote:Well if kung fu uniforms are o.k. we will just wear those but what about shoes we wear Feiyue's for footwear its a kungfu shoe but im not sure if those would work on a field since they are meant for arena style combat in a gym what would you guys recommend ???? maybe soccer cleats or something like that.

No soccer cleats...those would possibly put holes in shields when you kick shields and they're painful to those who go barefoot. I wear a pair of Skecher's work boots with an additional comfort insole.

They give me good traction in all kinds of field conditions, support my ankles, and are black so they go with most of my gear (black leather greaves, black shield, black pants, etc).

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I have worn Fei Yue shoes on grass, it's no big deal, esp if you have good ankle strength. I have practiced MA for years, I wear low top, no slip, shop shoes and have absolutly no issues fighting in any conditions. I got my shoes at wally world. The are work shoes. If you need more ankle support, then I would go with combat/work boots, black is best because it does go with just about anything.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Mynok » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Awesome I wear feiyues all the time for combat situations now all i need is some fur to go with my kung fu gear
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:41 am

Hold up.. no one said that kung fu uniforms are flat-out okay. If you could post a picture of what you're talking about, we could more accurately tell you how acceptable it is for on-field combat at events.

Either way, I hope you find something that works, and I hope you get to try out Bel.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby No'Vak » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:14 pm

1.3 Forbidden items:

1.3.1 T-shirts that are brightly colored, white, with visible logos, with visible collars, and or visible pockets.
1.3.2 Camouflage or military issued cargo pants.
1.3.3 Modern jeans of any color.
1.3.4 Modern hats.
1.3.5 Any fabrics with modern prints.
1.3.6 Any realistic weapons.

Pretty straight forward lol
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Arrakis » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 pm

But that doesn't mean that a button-up and a pair of sweatpants is garb, either.
Arrakis

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Yeah, Noik, if those were the only guidelines for acceptable garb, I'd be able to fight on the field wearing my teaching get-up. Black leather dress shoes, black dress pants, and a solid color button-up collared shirt with tie.

Definitely not fighting garb, but it passes your list. Thus, the list of forbidden items is not the be all and end all of garb guidelines.

I do not think that most martial arts uniforms look like appropriate Belegarth garb, but if you show us a picture, we could probably comment better.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Mynok » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Im talking about solid white frog buttons and black kung fu pants frog buttons are the rope kind you see in most kung fu houses .Its a very old school uniform thats been around for a long time .
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Mynok wrote:Im talking about solid white frog buttons and black kung fu pants frog buttons are the rope kind you see in most kung fu houses .Its a very old school uniform thats been around for a long time .

Are you referring to a shirt kind of like this one??

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mynok » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:09 pm

No pockets but yes thats it completely
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Looks bueno to me. I've seen fighters out there in a jacket like that with the mandarin collar before.

Lay it out and ask yourself honestly if it looks medieval-ish, fantasy-ish, ren faire-ish, some-weird-alternative-subculture-that-tries-to-look-like-these-categories-ish and if it does, try it out at an event.

If you question it, add some trim or whatever do-dads you or someone you know who sews thinks of to spruce it up a bit.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Embara Cayosin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm

on the subject on ma clothing as garb, would a white gi top and black hakama suffice as garb like in this pic.

In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 pm

I would absolutely call that garb, especially if you had an Asian personna, because you're serving one of the most important purposes of garb, that is: not looking like some joe blow teenager screwing around with sticks because you have nothing better to do than be a bum and not work. That look gives you the appearance of being in an organized athletic activity.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Tobia Blackthorn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:28 pm

Seeing as the white top and black hakama for training has been around for a very long time, does not look modern, even though it is still used in some martial arts, I don't see how it could be a problem. I will say though, I used to have a white linen tunic that I fought in...was a pain to wash. I still have it, but only for non-combat.

The advantage of a lot of martial arts gear for garb is that its very strong, usually. I use black gi pants, plenty of movement, and very sturdy fabric.
Duke of New Dawn of Southern Marches

Proud member of House Blackthorn
Tobia Blackthorn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2009
Realm: New Dawn of Southern Marches
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Spear

Postby Caleidah » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:49 pm

Instead of going plain white (which is, as Luinmir said, a * to clean) I'd suggest to go with an off white or cream color. That way you don't necessarily soak it in bleach to get it clean. I've got a pair of fighting pants that are an off white and are much easier to get clean because they naturally have a little bit of a grey/brown color to them.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb