New Garb, need suggestions

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

New Garb, need suggestions

Postby Mughi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:03 pm

I made some garb about three weeks ago, and it's worked out for the practices since then. Durable enough, didn't stain too bad. The pants are brown linen, the tabard is broadcloth, and the shirt is some kind of burlap I think, though I can't be sure.

I think, based on the videos and stuff that I saw, that this passes for minimum garb. But I want to do better than that. I'd like to know how I can improve upon or add to this to make it better, while not running up against any esoteric rules (like how white tabards with a design on them are for squires only).

Also, since my chosen persona is a dwarf, as soon as I finish my chainmail I'll be making new garb specifically for that. Any suggestions on how to make myself dwarfier, aside from continuing the beard growing, pipe smoking, tankard drinking and project smithing, are greatly appreciated.
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 05 Mar 2010
Realm: Malkier
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Smithin'.

Re: New Garb, need suggestions

Postby Derian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:20 pm

That's absolutely passing for minimum garb. In fact, I would say it's better than minimum.

Depending on your sewing skills, I'd say you have a couple options for proceeding from here.

If you're fairly new to sewing and/or aren't really confident in your skills yet, I would keep on making garb along the lines of what you have there. Look to other media for inspiration; you shouldn't have any difficulties finding lots and lots of pictures/videos/games/literature on dwarf garb. Pick what you like and go from there. More garb is always good.

Alternatively, if you feel that you're ready for a bigger challenge sewing-wise, try to make something new but take it to the next level. Try applique. It's actually pretty easy to do and you can make it as complex as you want. Other options include embroidery, adding trim and things of that nature.

What exactly do you want to do to make it better? I (personally, because I like have lots and lots of garb) generally advise against adding on or modifying existing garb. It's often not much more effort or money to simply make a whole new piece depending on the situation.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Derian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Also, a couple quick things:

Mughi wrote:esoteric rules (like how white tabards with a design on them are for squires only)

I wouldn't worry about rules like this. The rules in the book of war are the only actual rules. Things like the white tabards-are-for-squires 'rule' is more a custom of some groups that's widely known. People generally won't be offended if you chose to wear a white tabard as knighthood isn't officially regulated in Belegarth. Some groups use white tabards, others do not.

In general, feel free to wear whatever you choose as long as it fits within the broad scope of the garb rules in the book of war. Most people are very accepting, especially if the person in question is honestly making a good effort, which you're absolutely doing.

Lastly, I'd look into a different pair of shoes. The ones you're wearing there aren't too bad (at least they're not bright white! *shakes fist*), but they do seem somewhat out of place.

Perennial favorites around here include combat boots or moccasin type shoes. I'm a very big fan of the muted colors (brown or black, pretty much) of FiveFingers, but they're quite pricy.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Tobia Blackthorn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:34 pm

In reference to shoes, if you need a quick, easy change until you can find better shoes, you could try switching laces of the shoes you do have to more neutral (brown, tan, etc) colors rather than white.
Duke of New Dawn of Southern Marches

Proud member of House Blackthorn
Tobia Blackthorn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2009
Realm: New Dawn of Southern Marches
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Spear

Postby Mughi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:54 pm

*, I'd forgotten about the shoes! Thanks for pointing that out. I plan on buying some combat boots for the time being, but I'll be stitching up my own leather boots by then end of this.

I see what you're saying about making new garb, and totally agree - I'll be making a few more outfits, and already have "loaner garb" for my realm mates that includes red/white quartered tabards like you see on me. However, I'm always up for a challenge, so I'll be trying an applique as soon as I figure out some kind of design to put on it. Are personal symbols kosher?

Thanks.
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Derian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:10 pm

Personal symbols are totally fine. Generally, as long as your garb fits in with a pre-gunpowder historical or fantasy setting, it's good.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby warwell » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 pm

First, nice starter garb!

Now for some ideas:
1. A long sleeve overtunic. A great resource is this Bocksten tunic tutorial: http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... _tunic.php
2. Less baggy pants. Perhaps you can simply wear winningas over those pants
3. A hat

I think of dwarves as Scandinavian so I would look at Viking styles. A great discussion of Viking garb is here:
http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=18625.0

Hope this helps

YIS,
Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Judas » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Get a less department store looking belt. A cool buckle can add a lot.
Try www.quietpress.com or www.armourandcastings.com .
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Arrakis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Lookin' great for a newb, dude. I mean, great.

I looked like:

and now I look like:

though I just finished a surcoat that people are going to lose their **** over.

Recommendations for next set: I want you to add trim to the edges, appliqued trim, probably. Then, add hand embroidery in geometric designs (like the Greek key) to make it look really hella Dwarven. I HIGHLY recommend the Bocksten tutorial linked above; I abuse that ****. I also agree with viking inspirations and the suggestion of any kind of hat. Also, look at Kievan and Rus influences. They had some cool-ass pants, at the very least.

Keep kickin' *, bro.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Caleidah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Pics on that surcoat or I'll call shenanigans.

Also, surcoat party at the next event. It's official.

Mughi, your garb more than passes for basic stuff. Honestly, a lot of folks that are making their first garb end up wearing scrub pants, under armor and a cheap tabard. You're well on your way toward good stuff. As far as the dwarven persona goes, the only real standing imagery for them comes from LotR and D&D, so watching the movies (including the old animated ones) and thumbing through the sourcebooks could be a good source of inspiration for more garb and equipment.
Last edited by Caleidah on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Mughi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. Working on a Bocksten tunic right now, and gonna be trying my first applique on a shield cover for a new shield which I'm building right now.

Very good note on the belt. I plan on making a new belt buckle, or ebaying something less crude.

Hopefully give you picture updates in the near future. Thanks for the help, and if you've got more then keep it coming.
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Caleidah wrote:Pics on that surcoat or I'll call shenanigans.

Yo, no threadjack, but:

Yeah, it does have the eye on both hips and yeah it is all 100% linen and one of the coolest garments I've ever worn. Yeah...

PS: Hats like that might be available for custom order, soon....
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Nice surcoat, and * OP awesome "beginner" garb - it really passes for the higher, mid-level stuff that I've ever seen. Way to be.

My suggestions aren't so much for your garb since that's been covered really well, but for your kit in general.

• Develop a coat of arms. Whether your blazon has a charge or you just do your tinctures party per pale like your tunic, you'll liven up your look.
  • Gussy up your sword cover and/or your pommel to either look as real as possible or to incorporate your colors. Not only will it make you unique, your items will be easier to find if you leave them in weapons check piles or loan them out.
  • Commission or make a pair of leather gauntlets (armor grade or not) or at least look to shop for some more period-looking, leather gloves. MMA and hockey gloves can protect you well, but IMO they look out of place.
  • Continue your RP activities (tankard drinking, pipe smoking, etc) Perhaps speak with a brogue or whatever else fits your persona and collect trinkets, medallions, odds and ends, and other bric-a-brac for your feast garb. That's a completely optional second set of garb that is worn at Feast and while in camp drinking and cavorting with comrades, meant to show off your garb skills or money to look cool. Fighting with things hanging from you is a good way to break them, lose them, and possibly hurt other people.

Keep on truckin'
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Galya » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 am

Arrakis wrote:Image

You still look too pretty to be a hobgoblyn, but I like it. Very nice job. :)
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Mughi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Arrakis, that's one sweet getup you've got there.

Tiberius: Leather armored gauntlets would be nice to get, but I'm definitely not going to scale down from the protection that my lacrosse gloves give me. Ever since I got them, I've enjoyed the sport 5x more and haven't had a single injury. If you can suggest a way to paint or otherwise decorate them better though, I'm all for it. I tried acryllics, and they naturally just crackled right off.

As far as Heraldry, I haven't decided on a personal symbol yet. Thinking about a simple arch with cornerstone design, to be uploaded later (or appliqued and pictures taken)
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Caleidah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Something with a doorway with a key stone over it and something in the arch could look pretty awesome.

Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby DragoonAntoinette » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 am

I am late I know, but since I talk to you almost weekly its ok. You looking kicking Mughi, I should have picked you up a belt at Oktoberfest, didn't think about that, my bad. Any who I cannot wait to see any other garb you make, or any of the other garb from the guys and gals from my "second realm" miss you guys tones! Oh right advice....ummm trim would be good, and cleaning up the edges a bit but rolling them over and sewing a second time will make you look spiffy but really some trim, maybe making the tabbard a bit longer, I rarely look at guys garb, all the males in my realm all kinda dress the same, to but that frankly most of us including the girls have and wear hakama cause pants are warm and it snows here in like October (ya it snowed this weekend, didn't stay but it snowed ?:( ) Any who I approve this garb!

OH you need a hat! Hats are awesome have Muffin show you his once you know i mail it!
Dragoon Antoinette Finnrsdottir, the Moosewitch
Master Seneschal
Thunder Guard War Council Rep
Armageddon XXI Event Coordinator
"Spontaneous combustion is a myth. If you burst into flame, someone wanted you to." ~Chandra Nalaar
DragoonAntoinette
Moosewitch

Started Fighting: 29 Sep 2008
Realm: Roaming Canada
Unit: Elite Bloodfalcons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Non-Com and Needle and Thread
Pronouns: She / Her

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb